Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Quick one (97o in BB)

Online 2/4.

Is this line profitable?

UTG is LAG. Probably plays around 50% from UTG.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, folded to hero, hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
Hero checks, <font color="red"> UTG bets </font>, hero calls.

Turn: (2 BB) T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> (2 players) </font>
<font color="red"> Hero bets </font> ....

Old 05-04-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Quick one (97o in BB)

I don't like it. 50% UTG is a lot better than 97o. I would have folded on the flop.

matt
Old 05-04-2004, 08:15 PM

I don't think I'm ahead very often either, but then again it wasn't meant as a value bet. Unless I can get him to fold almost every time the flop and turn misses him this is a loosing play.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:21 PM

I think you're better off betting this flop or CR this flop then lead the turn. Otherwise I'm going to Check fold.

I don't really like your play here. The check call on the flop really does nothing but encourage him to call you down with any PP.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:32 PM

Do you have anything on his showdown rate/how often he is willing to fold. If you are going for play...check raise the flop or bet the flop is much stronger than check then call flop and betting turn. By betting the turn you really want him to believe you got a 3 which depending on the player if he has an ace he might chase it down not believing you.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you're better off betting this flop or CR this flop then lead the turn. Otherwise I'm going to Check fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience with LAG's is that heads up they are quite willing to go war on the flop with nothing. So when I try to steal the pot on the flop they always seem to get the last raise in and true to my weak-tight self I end up folding.

[ QUOTE ]
The check call on the flop really does nothing but encourage him to call you down with any PP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not convinced that this is true, but even if it is, wouldn't that be ok as long as he folds when he doesn't have a pair? Guess I have to do some math on this one.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have anything on his showdown rate/how often he is willing to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

If my memory serves me correctly, HPFAP recommends a similar play from SB against a restealing BB. For some weird reason this play is very appealing to me so I wanted to try it out.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:32 PM

"My experience with LAG's is that heads up they are quite willing to go war on the flop with nothing. So when I try to steal the pot on the flop they always seem to get the last raise in and true to my weak-tight self I end up folding."

You just made my point. You should either check fold or try to win this pot on the flop hoping he doesn't got to war. So calling (what you did) is clearly the worst option.

Then you go on to state..."I'm not convinced that this is true, but even if it is, wouldn't that be ok as long as he folds when he doesn't have a pair?"

You are totally contradicting yourself here. Your previous statement said the LAG likes to bet and go to war with nothing...now he's folding. I still don't like your play and I like your reasoning even less.