Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2004, 02:40 AM

Default Too Aggro?

Party 15/30, 8 handed. 1 unknown limps SB completes I check my option with 9d2s.

Flop is 8s6s7h. SB checks, I bet, limper calls, SB check-raises, I call limper calls.

Turn is the 9s. SB bets, I raise, limper cold calls, SB folds.

River is the Kd. Check-check.
Commments?
Old 04-16-2004, 08:01 AM

Default Re: Too Aggro?

hi James,

Had to think quite a while to figure out, what I shall think about your play.

Flop: I like your semi-bluff bet. It may win the pot right there, with only two opponents. Now the SB checkraises, after limper has called. That'd put me in quite a a difficult situation,so let's do some math:

7 SB when it comes to you, your open ender has 8 outs, but you need to consider that there may be a tie as you only have a one card draw, but leaving that beside the odds are 39/8 or app. 5/1 and you get 7/1 from the pot, so calling seems right.
Other factors are the limper behind, but I honestly would call this one and hope to catch a 10 or a 5 (preferable none spade) on the turn.

So, the turn comes and gives you top pair, no kicker. SB bets out, and here comes the mistake. In my eyes this is a clear fold. Look at the board, there lies an open ender with 3 spades. Even if your hand was good now, there are too many redraws (if no one's finished yet with flush or straight) possible from any spade (since you got the lowest) and any high card above ten, means 8 spades, 3 jacks, 3 queens, 3 kings, 3 aces. Ok, so if you're not beat in that spot, there are 20 cards which you have to worry about (not to forget the 4 tens, which can make you tie or lose). Further there is almost no possibility for you to improve. Best would be another 9, or a duck, which is not enough if you're beaten already.

No James, this is no spot for a bluff, if it were heads up I could see it, but with one unknown behind you, who could hold a ten or even just a flush(-draw),and a SB who showed strength on the flop and the turn. You rather save your dough for a better spot. Also it's unlikely that you can make any better hands to fold (mostly on party, even the 5 will call you down)

Good luck!