Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2004, 06:36 PM

Default Doing whatever it takes with 33

Very good 15/30, full-table game. The player acting immediately before me is tilting, badly, and will give on the order of $3000 to the table over the course of the night. He's got the horrible combination going for him of being an absolute aggro maniac on the first two streets, raising maybe 40% of the time before the flop, and weaktight on the turn and river. The table has expanded and contracted between 4-handed and 10-handed and even though it's very late at night, I'm not leaving until he does.

The rest of the players are your typical Midnight Fish. There's a solid player UTG, but the rest of them stink. BB, who is involved in this hand, is probably the second loosest player at the table.

I'm sitting two off the Button in LMP and am dealt 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG mucks, the next three players limp, and maniac/moron raises in MP2. I cold call, CO and Button also cold call, SB mucks and BB calls, every one else calls.

Eight and 16 SB to the flop:

4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Online poker is rigged, I tell you.

It's checked around to MP2 who bets out. I raise. Next two muck. BB calls two cold. Next three muck. MP2 3-bets. I cap, BB and MP2 call.

Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP2 bets out again, I raise, they both call.

River is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Checked around to me and I check.

Comments on all streets appreciated.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Doing whatever it takes with 33

from your description of the game the post flop is fairly straight forward - get this hand to showdown as cheaply as possible hopefully losing a few players along the way - i think you did that pretty well

i dont think you should play the post flop differently - the issue is should you fold pre-flop or on the flop - i'm bored with pre-flop questions and i dont really know how good/bad this is in a 10 man game - as for folding on the flop my rough maths suggests that you need to have the winning hand at showdown around 20% of the time for this to be a good play given that no good information is gained from the way your opponents bet

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Old 04-05-2004, 02:16 AM

the problem here, obviously, is that if you're beaten, you're drawing dead (and have very little fold equity), and if you're ahead, you will get outdrawn much of the time anyway.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:10 PM

Easy call preflop, any pocket pair is worth playing when you already have 4 customers, even with a raise.

I'd hate the situation after getting 3 bet on the flop, but like the way you played it throughout the hand.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:23 PM

Preflop play is fine, IMO.

On the flop, a raise is nice to get people out, since ANY card but a 2 or 3 can hurt you. I wouldn't cap because you aren't getting anyone else out with that bet. It's three players and staying that way unless a huge card comes out.

The turn and river I'd be checking or calling. If someone has a big pair, they aren't going anywhere. If they have an Ace and a face, they aren't going anywhere unless a big card comes out. Everyone is staying for the little cards. Doubtful that anyone has a 6 or 8 with the preflop play. Aces and possibly an overpair are waiting out there.

My guess is your opponents have big cards hoping to match because of the turn calls and river checks.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Result

I actually took this one down; maniac had AQo (so sad when they actually sorta kinda have a hand) and the Button had J9o (!) and was attempting to play the lottery to catch a boat.

I'm surprised that nobody has said that I missed a value bet on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]