Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2004, 02:44 PM

Default Lost to slowplayed quads

Party $0.50/1.00 9handed

Dealt to Hero in sb [ Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO raises,Button folds, Hero 3-bets, BB calls cold, MP1 calls, CO calls

Flop [ T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]

Hero bets, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO calls

Turn [ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]

Hero bets, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO folds.

River [ 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]

Hero bets, BB raises, MP1 folds, Hero 3-bets, BB caps, Hero calls
BB shows [ 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ] four of a kind, tens.

BB wins 18.25 bb's

*The only time I thought that I might be behind is when he caps the river, but there was still a good chance he had a lower full house. I'm very confident that I played it well, but I'm asking for input to make sure.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Lost to slowplayed quads

Unfortunately for you he made a great play. He knew that he had the quads, so instead of reraising you he just played along like he did not have the 10. Flopping quads is actually difficult to play because you need to try to make as much money as possible. If he would have reraised everyone would have probably folded, instead he just called and ended up taking a bigger pot.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:50 PM

If he would have reraised everyone would have probably folded, instead he just called and ended up taking a bigger pot.

Somehow I doubt that everyone would have folded.

Also, there is no way I would 3-bet the river.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:40 AM

cant help it when retards cold call 2 bets with 10,5
Old 03-29-2004, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for you he made a great play

[/ QUOTE ]

How is coldcalling with T5 a great play?

If I had the QQ there's no reason for me to think anybody has KK or AA because the preflop was not capped. On the river, out of pure frustration I probably 3bet.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately for you he made a great play

[/ QUOTE ]

How is coldcalling with T5 a great play?

If I had the QQ there's no reason for me to think anybody has KK or AA because the preflop was not capped. On the river, out of pure frustration I probably 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything you do out of frustration at the poker table is probably a bad play.

SpaceAce
Old 03-29-2004, 09:51 AM

I would not have 3-bet the river either. I can see how you would want to, because this is the kind of hand you feel like you should win. And you're right, there's a chance he could be raising you with a smaller boat.

The thing about slowplaying is, it's a poker tactic bad players will use, and whether or not it's being done in the right situation, it can really hurt when you're on the receiving end of it, especially when you have a very strong hand yourself. Had you not already shown aggression in this hand, BB's slowplay probably would not have been correct. Even in this situation it may not have been correct. I know Sklansky says that the pot should not yet be that large if you're considering slowplaying, but this pot was already pretty big with your raise and all the callers.

The big pot is probably one reason you should have just called the raise on the river. You know he wouldn't try to bluff you out at this point in the hand, so you have to figure his raise is a value raise. And it's hard to detect slowplaying in general, but knowing it's a possibility should be something in the back of your mind with a flop like this.

So, in closing, you probably just want to call the raise on the river. Even though you would have lost a bet, you hope he shows down JJ, 9X or something; but you cut your losses when he shows you the case ten.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:02 AM

I'm pretty sure he didn't mean the cold call, but the post flop action.