Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Switching it up

Every once in a while you need to change your play style so you are not predictable and you can't be read as easy. You need to be able to change gears from tight to loose and then back to tight again without people catching on that you are doing this.

This is something that I have never done and I know that I really need to do this and I am going to attempt it the next couple of sessions I play.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?
is this just a matter playing garbage hands and leting people know your playing em?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:23 PM

Default Re: Switching it up

First a Question:

Define: Value Bet

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 04-16-2004, 12:12 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

Remember, you dont have to switch it up if you're still getting action on you're good hands. What's the point? Sometimes you can sit for hours playing nothing, raise, and get 5+ callers.

If you notice players are playing much more timid against you or are not giving you much action, then a small change may be added.

But watch what they think a loose raise/call is. You probably wont have to play a total crap hand to get your point across if you know what they think a 'bad' raise is. Even if it isnt.

But if you're raising enough in LP with suited connectors and such, that alone should be enough.

If post flop is a problem getting action, pick your spots and start stealing. Or you may not be betting enough types of hands. Check that first.

Dont change your play because you 'think' you should. Use the information they give you to gauge it. Changing when you dont need to, if only for the sake of making yourself 'feel' like you've done something, is a way to blow chips needlessly.

b
Old 04-16-2004, 05:41 PM

Hi colos1,

Switching it up is only relevant to those that are paying attention to what you play. In most cases, in low-limit games, no one will ever notice. It is best to stick to solid play.

One stategy that you should always have is to play tight aggressive poker. To me, switching it up is when your opponents are used to your tight abc play, and then all of a sudden, you raise with some mid-suited connectors. Hopefully it hits and they call you with tptk. To mix it up though, does not mean bluffing with crap till the end when you know you're going to lose, or to call raises cold with subpar hands. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:03 PM

If you're playing limits less than 40-80, I don't think you ever need to switch gears. If you're a top player, then you can make money doing it, but if you're not, then you'll get yourself into too much trouble and cost yourself money. There aren't too many top players around, hence the term.

If you do change gears, you may in fact WANT people to know that you are doing this, since you then become an unpredictable person (or better yet, they'll think you're an idiot). That's the whole point for changing up your play. Your act of changing gears isn't a concrete "well, I'm going to play ubertight from the hours of 1 until 2:05, and then I'll open raise with 57s UTG" it's more of a dynamic thing that you just know to do when the time is right. Believe me when I say that there probably aren't more than a handful of posters on this board who can do this effectively.