Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2004, 03:27 PM

Default Disappearing buttons / timer problem work around

Since upgrading my computer a couple of days ago I have been experiencing problems with the Party Poker software. I believe I have found a reasonable work-around to the problem. First let me tell you about the nature of the problem:

When first opening the software there are no problems at all. But after about five minutes the problem starts to appear, as I will only have 9 seconds to post my blinds and only 29 seconds to call/fold/raise in every round instead of the proper 10/30 seconds. Then about five minutes later the problem will have escalated to about 28/8 and so on. After 40-60 minutes it will be impossible to post the blinds within the required time, unless the auto-post blinds feature is used. Even later into play it will even be impossible to call/check/raise within the required time. When the time runs out the buttons will disappear leaving me with the sole option of waiting until my "actual" 30 seconds runs out causing me to be treated as all-in or fold depending on whether I have any remaining disconnection protections left.

The problem is less prevalent in single table tournaments, since they have a 35 second timeout length and the blinds will allways be auto-posted. Multi-table tournaments however are obviously not playable at all, since later in the tournament I will not be able to act in any of the rounds and will thus be blinded out. I have tested two completely different machines with completely different hardware and both machines had the exact same problem. The only thing the shared were the connection (including a public IP adress). I have also tested the problem with both Party Poker's own software and Empire Poker's software. Both shared the problem. The problem by the way is similar for play-money tables and real-money tables, which has made it easy for me to test the problem. Of course all other poker site's software still runs fine.

Due to the above findings I have concluded that the problem does not reside on the client machine, but instead resides either on Party Poker's servers or somewhere along the connection between the server and the client. The best work-around I have figured out to the problem is to disconnect my internet connection for a couple of seconds, causing the poker client to establish a new connection to the server. The new connection will of course also degrade, so at some point it will be necessary to establish a new connection again. With my internet connection the easiest way to do this is to open the Network Connections folder in Windows Explorer (just type in "Network Connections" in the address of the explorer and press enter), then right-click the connection named "Local Area Connection" and then click "Disable". Quickly right-click and then click on "Enable" to re-connect to the internet. The client will then make a new connection to the server causing the timer to be reset. Allthough this is far from an optimal solution it should make it possible to use the Party Poker software for real-money games. For other internet connections it may be different. I have a cable connection.

Any input/ideas/comments will be greatly appreciated