Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2004, 10:00 PM

Default AQ on Loose Table

Pacific 3/6, pretty loose table

I'm in MP1 with AQ.

UTG limps, EP3 calls, I raise. Button, SB, BB, UTG, and EP3 all call.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to UTG who bets. EP3 folds and I decide to raise. Everyone folds except UTG, who calls.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG checks and I check.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG bets and I call.

Was the raise on the flop a good idea, with no reasonable draws out there that UTG might be semi-bluffing with? I'm not certain what to do on a flop like that on a loose table. I was thinking UTG might have a pocket pair and I wanted to clean up my two overcards. I chickened out on the turn, though.

Supposing I had bet the turn and been raised, would it have been safe to fold? If called, should I bet the river again, or just check behind? Thanks.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:43 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: AQ on Loose Table

I like the flop raise because the flop is huge and you could very well have the best hand. I don't see the point of the turn check though... you give him a free card if he has a K or a gut shot. And at the least, if you're going to check the turn, raise the river.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:51 PM

Bet the turn. You got what you wanted.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking UTG might have a pocket pair and I wanted to clean up my two overcards

[/ QUOTE ]

But the only hand you are cleaning up outs against is A3/Q3. And you don't need to clean up these outs because the board is paired higher than 3. Raisings not a bad play, but I would be more inclined to do it if I thought UTG is betting a draw.