Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2004, 10:38 AM

Location: If i\'m wrong don\'t be nice, rip me a new a$$hole so i don\'t make the same mistake twice!
Default Help me, i\'m Stupid!!

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button folds, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero bets, MP1 raises, MP2 calls, SB folds, Hero 3-bets, MP1 caps, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 21 BB, between MP1, MP2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP1 (21 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows 8s 4c (straight, eight high).
MP2 shows Ah 5s (two pair, aces and sixes).
Hero shows 3c 4h (straight, seven high).
Outcome: MP1 wins 21 BB. </font>

Advice....
Old 03-12-2004, 10:50 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Help me, i\'m Stupid!!

You aren't dumb and you didn't play badly. But you did learn a lesson. The bottom end of a straight isn't as good as the nut end. Sure, it's 2-1 to hit any kind of OESD, but if you have the nuts you win 100% of the time. If you have the bottom end, it may be something like 90%.

Just because you lose doesn't mean you played poorly. Also, I was thinking that MP1 was slowplaying a flopped boat, because he waited until the river to pop it. It seemed like he wanted to sucker people in on the flop and turn, not wanting to chase them away. I was wrong, but it illustrates the point that when there is a pair on board, you have to proceed with caution.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:52 AM

Alporfavor,

mmm hmmm...Well here is the thing. Your hand is not as good of a drawing hand as it may appear because of 2 things. The first which I am sure you are aware of is that you are drawing to the ignorant end of the str8. The 2nd is that the board paired on the flop. I think I play this hand passively in check call mode the whole way. I bet out on the river and call the raise. I am surely not 3 betting the river. The river mistake cost you 2bb. That is an hours work for a decent player [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

TheRake
Old 03-12-2004, 10:52 AM

Personally I don't think I bet this draw. I'd be calling to stick around though.

Unfortunately when the 7 hit on the river and you run into resistance, your "best" scenario is a split. MP1 has been a calling station this entire hand. His sudden intereste to me screams "I hit my straight", and since you're on the bottom end of it, I think I call his first raise and see what's what.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:07 PM

I probably don't bet this turn unless I think I might win it by doing so. 4.75 to one dog to hit your non-nut straight and four opponents...

Look its hard to put somebody on a gutshot straight calling to the river. And nobody's shown boat kind of strength. But with a PF limp fest somebody could have a six, and Mp1 directly to your left would certainly have motivation to smooth call the flop and turn, trying to get everybody to call along. Quite frankly when I saw his raise on the river I liked him for A-6.

With the straight, you still gotta bet out--but with the non nut straight and some possible boats on board just call the raise.

--Zetack