Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Filled up on the River- raise or fold

4-8 CP in Minnesota.

Game is somewhat loose with a couple of players raising anything they are playing pre-flop. I am MP3. The usual raisers are in the blinds.

2 limpers to me and I limp with 44. CO folds, button calls, SB calls, BB raises (which means only that his cards are either red or black and have either numbers or letters in the corners. Everyone calls the raise.

Flop comes 4AQ all hearts. Checked to me, I bet, button raises, one caller, i three bet, button four bets, caller folds, i call.

Turn is a black 8. I check, button bets, I raise, button 3 bets, I call.

River Ace. I check, button bets, I raise, button Three Bets.

What do I do now? Should I have led the river. Should I have checked called the river.

All comments appreciated.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Filled up on the River- raise or fold

1)just limp preflop. you want as many people to see the flop as possible in case you hit your set and a raise doesnt accomplish this.
2)cap all the way with this...more than likely he has 2 pair..you are gonna lose alot when your sets get beat if you are playing them correctly
Old 03-11-2004, 01:42 PM

Expect to lose a shitload of chips when you get a boat beat by a maniac. I would cap the flop, lead the turn and call a raise back (fearing the flush enough to slow down) and CAP THE RIVER.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:28 PM

When I first read this I missed that the flop was all [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s. That sure makes a difference. It really looks like you have Kx [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] beaten. His betting on the flop and turn would be consistent with having the nuts at that point. Unless your opponent is totally passive pre-flop you can eliminate AA and QQ as hands you lose to and probably AQo as well. That leaves A4s as a reasonable hand that he could have started with that beats you. But would A4s not of [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s four-bet the flop and three-bet the turn with a possible flush out there? Unless your opponent is a maniac I think you can cap the river (or just keep re-raising until he calls or is all in). If you get nervous at some point you can always call.

Nice hand.

Colgin
Old 03-11-2004, 02:31 PM

Don't see why you wouldn't over-play the river once you over-played the previous two streets.

Anyway, once you get to your freeze-point on the river both you AND the opponents have clearly made mistakes along the way: you over-playing bottom set against the obvious flush and the opponent either over-playing big set or top-two or over-playing his obvious flush on the river.

Folding is out of the question against someone who has clearly made a mistake or two during the hand. Call.

- Louie
Old 03-11-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Results and What not

I called the three bet and was shown AQ for the bigger full house.

I really don't agree that I overplayed the either the flop or the turn. He could have easily been betting AK with the king or hearts or all sorts of other hands that I was leading. When he three bet the turn, I have to belive he has the flush, but that easily defines my river play.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:52 PM

Louie,

You are right. My prior post way undervalued the possibility that Hero's opponent had way overplayed hands like AQ or A4 on prior streets. A re-raise by Hero here (as I suggested)is a mistake but a call is quite appropriate.

Colgin
Old 03-11-2004, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't see why you wouldn't over-play the river once you over-played the previous two streets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think that Hero overplayed the flop? I thought that 3-betting sets on a single-suit flop was SOP.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think that Hero overplayed the flop? I thought that 3-betting sets on a single-suit flop was SOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about anyon else, but I am going to the cap with a set on a three-flush board 100% of the time if my opponent cooperates.

SpaceAce
Old 03-11-2004, 07:17 PM

Sorry, I meant "previous 2 rounds combined".