Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Spending some internet money?

So I have had a good year and am after a treat! I have always wanted a nice watch and have decided to buy one in the next couple of months.

I have decided on a Rolex as this watch will be passed on when I eventually Fold on the river and I want it to retain value. Not a fake one either.

My question is - does anyone here have a recommendation on which model? I have been to some jewelers and the prices seem to go from $3k to $25k on some of these things. I am comfortable spending up to about $8k.

I like the Submariner and Datejust models and the yachtmaster is cool too....Anyway any opinions, suggestions, experiences that will help in decision are appreciated.

Thanks,

Orange
Old 03-08-2004, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Spending some internet money?

The Daytona Chronograph in Stainless Steel is a very sought after item and if you can get it at list price it's a tremendous deal (It always has a premium in the market). The same model in Steel/Gold is a very nice piece too.

You need a dealer friend to get one of those, else the premium is too high.

Other models are nice, but the one above is special.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:59 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

isn't patek philip more elite?
Old 03-08-2004, 01:05 PM

I'm not necessarily looking for elite - I have actually never heard of that brand.

I do want something nice that will hold a good percenatge of its' value though. All of the Rolexes I have handled so far seem to be top notch quality and from what I understand sometime go up in value.

Orange

Old 03-08-2004, 01:09 PM

Just ask your Rolex dealer about the model I told you about in stainless steel. After you fail to acquire it, THEN you'll know that's the one you want to get at list price...
Old 03-08-2004, 07:26 PM

I understand you are interested in Rolex, but Breitling makes some absolutely beautiful watches in my opinion. I like several of their models more than Rolex. You should check it out.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:44 PM

It's generally best to buy in a low/zero tax environment. Many Americans used to go to Canada to buy these but maybe the exchange rate currently makes this (or going to any non-USD-linked country) temporarily unattractive.

I have a wonderful Oris - a Swiss automatic with quirky retro styling. It has lasted much better than the girlfriend who gave it to me.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:50 PM

I have a 18kt/SS Datejust with the black tapestry dial...absolutely love it!! These retail for around 5300. Given your want list and budget, I would go for the 18kt/SS Submariner. I personally like the black dial, but the blue seems to be popular too. I don't think you will regret it....