Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Nice flush

While waiting for my 10-20 hold em' seat I sometimes sit in a stud game. I like stud but find these hold em games much more profitable. This night I got right in a 5-20 game and bought in for 500. I was doing ok up just over a 100 after an hour; the game is fairly tight.

I have to bring in 2c-I have Qc and 10c down so it's not so bad. Two callers. I make four flush with the 6c and call a ten dollar bet. Now I do have the flush with the Kc. I bet out 10 with the king high. 1st player folds and other raises to 30. I make it fifty and so on.....finally I call. We had about 110 each out there on that street. He has no pair on the board and no possible straight. I know he has trips. His board pairs on sixth he bets and I raise he comes back and I call. Last card he bets and I call. His full house was good. I hate that-what's the best way to play it here?
Old 03-04-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Nice flush

Hi!

Lets see...

I know he has trips
His board pairs on sixth he bets and I raise

You say you know he has trips...then makes a full house... then you raise him with a flush?

Perhaps you need to stick with Hold'Em!!

I mean seriously.. what are you asking us here?
I think you played the hand fine till sixth..
I mean if you were positive he had trips, when the board paired then you fold. If you have doubt and can't make that laydown then just call. IF he's full.. you lose.. thats poker.. if not..then you win a decent pot.

The only reason to raise sixth is when you are fairly certain you have the best hand.. Here you were fairly certain you were beat..

Did you think your opponent was going to lay down a full house against an unpaired board?

CJ
Old 03-04-2004, 02:36 PM

Well since you know he has trips, you should just call down on sixth and seventh, once he pairs. On fifth, I'd probably just put in four bets and wait to give unlimited action if he doesn't improve on sixth. On sixth if he doesn't pair he only has one card to beat you, not two, so you are getting much better odds. Of course, he may not be willing to go as far with only one card to come. Assuming all his cards are live on fifth and he does have trips he has 7 outs plus a runner runner pair. So (again assuming live cards and that 8 cards were seen and not his on third) He is about 5.5:1 against to make his house, with two cards to come, or 2.5:1 against to catch in two cards(about). Of course if you've seen any of his cards, his odds are worse. So it's certainly not a bad thing to get your money in on fifth. The only real mistake I see here is the "frustration" raise on sixth. There's no way you're folding with all that $$ in the pot, but once he pairs you're making crying calls.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:00 PM

if you know he has trips and you have a flush and then he pairs the board why on earth would you raise?? i think the best play is obvious.

Pat
Old 03-04-2004, 06:05 PM

When you are sure he has trips, then his board pairs, you make crying calls. DON'T keep raising with what you know is the worst hand. You made a read, go with your read.

al
Old 03-04-2004, 08:29 PM

Why not bet $20 on fifth street? I don't think I quit raising when I have a flush and my opponent can't have me beaten. When he puts in that kind of action and then pairs his board, though, raising him is suicidal. You said you knew he had trips on fifth street, didn't you? If you can safely put him on a full house, you throw your hand away, but since he put in a bunch of bets against an obvious flush, so he probably stinks, which would give me enough doubt in my read that I'd call it down.

Are they playing $5-20 stud in Michigan? What's the ante? How often does it go? I might have to make a road trip. Too bad my next nine weekends in a row are booked....
Old 03-05-2004, 09:23 AM

8 tables currently and 8 more opening
Greektown
Normally
1 - 5-20 stud
1 - 2-10 stud
3 - 5-10 hold em
2 - 10-20 hold em
1 - 20-40 round by round, 30-60 hold em, omaha pot limit
changes mostly 20-40

Stud games are not nearly as packed as the holdem depending on when you go in. Maybe at the most an hour wait for the 5-20. Games usually pretty tight.

Old 03-05-2004, 12:24 PM

Maybe you should stick to holdem, but than again, the same logic applies to all forms of poker. You have made two big mistakes in this hand.

1. If on 5th street you know there is no way you are beaten, you need to be prepared to go to the felt if your opponent wants to.

2. Don't raise a known full house with a flush (FYI-in the heiarchy of poker, a full house beats a flush).

-ropey