Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2004, 06:46 PM

Default AA preflop check

Party Poker 1/2 Hold 'Em (9 handed)

Would it be better to just call the 3Bet and then Checkraise the flop ?

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero raises, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, CO-1 folds, CO 3-bets, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, Hero caps, MP1 calls, CO calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (17.5 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, CO calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, CO calls, UTG calls.

River: (14.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero bets, MP1 raises, CO folds, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB
Old 02-19-2004, 07:08 PM

Default Re: AA preflop check

Would it be better to just call the 3Bet and then Checkraise the flop ?

No, you have several players trapped, get the extra bets in while you are 100% sure you are ahead. You played fine.

Lost Wages
Old 02-20-2004, 12:38 AM

Wouldn't consider changing a thing.

Even if I did believe in calling the 3-bet and checkraising as a concept, which I don't, this is not the proper audience. By very happy coincidence, tonight I met someone who didn't grasp that when the quiet guy in the corner caps preflop, that means you have to stop betting your pocket tens sometime before next week [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

The great thing about microlimit poker is that you can tell everyone exactly what you have and no one pays any attention. That's why most deceptive plays work so badly--no one is listening. Take advantage and extract the maximum.
Old 02-20-2004, 05:11 AM

no reason why you should merely call, after all, you have the best possible hand and should make the pot as large as possible
Old 02-20-2004, 05:18 AM

Came to think of a hand I played a while back. The table was full of fishy callingstations, and I was up an incredible ammount. The mood at the table was very light although most fishes had lost quite a lot.

Flop comes T97, it's bet in first position, I raise from button, all call. I say I've got J8, and the turn is 3-bet! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] When it's time for showdown, after each of my 3 opponents that are left has put in 2 bets each, I show my J8.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:39 PM

Unlike all of those who have replied (so far after 24hrs), I think there is great merit in just calling that reraise instead of capping. With the flop that happened to come, if you checkraise you might take it down there. If not, you got the same amount in the pot and can lead on the turn.

If you wait until the turn to checkraise after just calling a bet on the flop - you make anybody that just turned a draw pay double.........and if they do call, you get 2x as much as you get by capping pre-flop. IMHO the real value of giving up those few bets preflop is you don't take the raiser out of the lead, and he may lead all the way with a worse hand and you get the added chance to make it 2-bets for the other 2 players who may have to throw away a draw on the turn.

If you get the ideal flop - with an ace, you will get a lot more play if they have Ax - I've flopped trips this way and gotten reraised on the turn and river by aggressive AK players.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The great thing about microlimit poker is that you can tell everyone exactly what you have and no one pays any attention. That's why most deceptive plays work so badly--no one is listening. Take advantage and extract the maximum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the way you're putting this.

I think Hero played it just fine.

aas.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unlike all of those who have replied (so far after 24hrs), I think there is great merit in just calling that reraise instead of capping. With the flop that happened to come, if you checkraise you might take it down there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure with that flop, you want to take it down right there. You're way ahead or way behind with only the flush draw to possibly worry about.

[ QUOTE ]

If not, you got the same amount in the pot and can lead on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not if the cutoff leads into you and you checkraise making the dreamers actually consider folding. You wouldn't get the extra bet out of the players that completely miss the flop.
[ QUOTE ]

If you wait until the turn to checkraise after just calling a bet on the flop - you make anybody that just turned a draw pay double.........and if they do call, you get 2x as much as you get by capping pre-flop. IMHO the real value of giving up those few bets preflop is you don't take the raiser out of the lead, and he may lead all the way with a worse hand and you get the added chance to make it 2-bets for the other 2 players who may have to throw away a draw on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which draw do you want them to throw away that they actually would for 2 bets?

[ QUOTE ]
If you get the ideal flop - with an ace, you will get a lot more play if they have Ax - I've flopped trips this way and gotten reraised on the turn and river by aggressive AK players.

[/ QUOTE ]
Aggressive AK players will raise the turn or river whether or not you capped pf. You might as well get the extra bet from everyone PF. In fact, unless I've been 'isolated' by a 3 bet PF and it's now heads up, I'll cap it to get the extra bet from everyone who is now trapped.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:52 PM

Default Results

MP1 had K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I thought about not capping while I played the hand, but decided that I was better off playing it ABC...
The sad part of capping and betting out on the flop is that as little as backdoor flushdraws and small pocket pairs will have correct or close to correct odds to see the turn.
Especially when the bets come from the CO it would be nice to checkraise the flop, pretty much no matter what hits.

So is the extra money preflop worth the fact that they can chase with almost anything postflop ?
Or would it be better to flatcall the 3Bet and then have a good chance of checkraising the flop ?
Old 02-20-2004, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Results

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
pokenum -h ad as - kc jc -- 4c 4d qd
Holdem Hi: 990 enumerated boards containing 4c Qd 4d
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
As Ad 934 94.34 56 5.66 0 0.00 0.943
Kc Jc 56 5.66 934 94.34 0 0.00 0.057
</pre><hr />
He actually didn't have the proper odds to call the flop bet (He was a 19:1 dog, and was getting 18.5:1 to call), but just barely.

Honestly though, MP1 called 2 cold (from MP), then called 2 more cold when it came back to him. If you'd called the 3-bet and check-raised the flop, do you really think he would have folded for 2 bets there?