Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2004, 12:39 PM

Default Alright i jumped up to the 50NL (thanks scrub)

With the advice of my buddy scrub, I didn't move to the 200 NL but I did go to the 50NL @ UB.

Cashed out after 3 hours with a $138.00 profit.
Had a few nice hands, I list a couple. I got lucky on one.

Had 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]in the SB, and called a min raise from LP and 5 saw the flop. ($5.00 in pot) At this point I have $75.00 and villian has $28.00 (he did a short buy)

Flop comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I bet $4.00 into the pot, BB folds, UTG moves all in for his remaining $27.00, all fold to me. He cant have me beat so I call, he has A8o, no help and I take it down. (Standard play)

I finally tried the limp re-raise!
Bunky has Black Kings UTG with $105.00, and limps, all fold to CO who raises to $3.00, blinds fold, I re-raise to $10.00. CO calls.

Flop comes 9 high with 2 hearts (dont remember exact cards) I bet $20.00, he raises his last $4.50 all in, I call, he has AKo. No ace to come and I take it down.

I sucked out and loved it!
Bunky has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB and completes, after 4 limpers, BB checks.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Bunky bets $3.00, BB calls, MP calls ($48.00), rest fold.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Bunky bets $12.00, BB folds, MP calls again.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Bunky checks. (Now this guy has to have something to call the whole way right? Maybe he'll think his Ace is good and bet.) He bets $5.00 into the pot and I checkraise all in.

MP hems and haws and finally calls and tables 55 for the slowplayed set turned boat.

The play at these 50NL games is no different than the 25NL games. Thanks scrub!
Old 02-20-2004, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Alright i jumped up to the 50NL (thanks scrub)

Bunkster,

Keep up the good work [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-20-2004, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sucked out and loved it!
Bunky has A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in the SB and completes, after 4 limpers, BB checks.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Bunky bets $3.00, BB calls, MP calls ($48.00), rest fold.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Bunky bets $12.00, BB folds, MP calls again.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

[b]Bunky checks. (Now this guy has to have something to call the whole way right? Maybe he'll think his Ace is good and bet.) [b]

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a great reason to bet the river for value. A check here only makes sense against a very aggressive player or a total donkey. And I think betting is actually a far better strategy against a donkey.

Do you see why? A reasonable player has no reason to bet a weak ace (or even a strong ace) on this river. And since there is no busted draw for him to bluff with, you only lose value by checking. If he has a big hand (like he did), he will play back at you. If he has a mediocre hand, he will check it back and you lose that bet that he surely would have called.

I like the way you played the other hands.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bunky checks. (Now this guy has to have something to call the whole way right? Maybe he'll think his Ace is good and bet.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he has something, you should bet. If he has a marginal hand he'll often call (vs. checking behind). If he has a big hand, it doesn't matter, the money will get in.

If you think he has nothing - ie: 78, that's when you should check.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:43 PM

Default Re: to Ulysses

I see the point you are making, and it has a lot of merit. I'm not a NL expert yet but hope to be soon.

My thinking was I was trying to represent an Ace with Med. kicker trying to run him off.

I ususally lead at alot of pots but I figured he would take a stab at it on the river after I showed weakness, he did, but I see that in this instance the money would have gone in anyway. I'm just surprised he didn't pop it in on the turn.

I wanted him to bet his own hand on the river, and he did. I gave him a chance to get away from it on the river. Luckily for me he didn't.

Always learning right?
Old 02-20-2004, 07:47 PM

Default Re: to Bear

You're 100% right. I should have fired a "sell it" bet on the river and let him play back. Just fell victim to the fancy play syndrome. It worked out this time because he had the set turned lesser boat.

I usually just sell my hand on the river for what I think he would call for, but since I didn't have any idea what to sell it for, I figured just let him bet it for me.

Wrong reasoning I guess.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bunky checks. (Now this guy has to have something to call the whole way right? Maybe he'll think his Ace is good and bet.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think he has something, you should bet. If he has a marginal hand he'll often call (vs. checking behind). If he has a big hand, it doesn't matter, the money will get in.

If you think he has nothing - ie: 78, that's when you should check.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine when your opponent has position on you but if you're certain your hand is good and the action is checked to you, what possible reason is there not to bet? He'll either fold and you win the same amount you would have anyway plus you won't have to show your cards or he'll call and you'll get more value from your hand.

I realize that in this hand the hero was acting first but you didn't mention anything about position and it seems to me like that would make a big difference.

SpaceAce
Old 02-20-2004, 08:04 PM

So, what you're saying is, you think that when you're last to act and it's checked to you on the river and you have a hand that you are sure is best, you should bet.

Uh, OK.

I suspect most people here already knew that.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, what you're saying is, you think that when you're last to act and it's checked to you on the river and you have a hand that you are sure is best, you should bet.

Uh, OK.

I suspect most people here already knew that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said when he has nothing, check. You made no distinction as to when or where, you made it as a statement of fact. Did I do any harm by asking for a clarification? Can reiterating something that "most people here already knew" do any harm? I'm sorry if my observation flew beneath your "too obvious" radar and I'll try not to question you in the future.

Or, wait, you could just say, "That's true" and drop the sarcasm which does absolutely nothing to help further people's playing knowledge.

SpaceAce
Old 02-20-2004, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You made no distinction as to when or where, you made it as a statement of fact. Did I do any harm by asking for a clarification?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. I should have clarified that my response to a post about a hand has to do with that hand. WTF?