Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2004, 11:33 PM

Default JJ hand #1

Well, I was going to take tonight off, but GWB pre-empted 24, so I decided to get back on the horse after my 5 straight out-of-money finishes,

$20 + 2 2-table SNG on 'Stars

Third or fourth hand, blinds are 10/20. I get J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 off the button.

UTG raises to 60, I call, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls. 5 see the flop with 310 in the pot.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Not what I want to see with 4 opponents, an ace on the board
and all I have is the 3rd nut flush draw.

BB Folds(??), checked around after that. OK, this doesn't mean nobody has an A.

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Makes my non-nut flush. UTG checks. I doubt those behind me would've checked the flop through with the Q or K of hearts, so I check, CO checks, button bets 500, UTG folds, I call, CO folds. I am convinced the overbet is at best a smaller heart than my J.

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I think for a second and believe he will bet if I check. I check, he puts me all-in, and I call.

Comments? Results later.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:15 AM

Default Re: JJ hand #1

Kurn,

I couldn't get the quote to work, so I'll just ask. Not that I challenge it at all, but how did you decide that if the K or Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] was out there that they would have checked the flop. That's the kind of analysis I'd like to have on a more consistent basis. Was it based on prior action at the table, notes, or something more like instinct?
Old 01-21-2004, 12:57 AM

I think like you said at best the button has a smaller heart than you. The size of his bet does indeed look fishy. He might be trying to steal all together since he was on the button. The river all but confirms you have the best hand and his bet seems like a desperation bet to try to get you to fold.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:24 AM

It's too late to edit, so I'll just restate it. By "kind of anaysis I'd like to have" I meant that this is the type of read I would like to be able to make during a game, and don't always seem to be able to do.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:18 AM

I think the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] would have looked a little nicer on the river. He is more likely to have checked through the 2nd nut draw on the flop than the nut draw. My guess is that you got trapped, and he has the Qh.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:22 AM

Here's what I said

I doubt those behind me would've checked the flop through with the Q or K of hearts

My experience has been that typical players will take a shot at a monochrome board with a high suited card, especially when the A flops. The pot was small enough to warrant this kind of bet from a late position player.

After the hand, that was the part of my play I liked the least. In analyzing my bad streak, I thought I had been overplaying hands early. In this case I thought not being aggressive on the turn might have been a mistake.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:24 AM

Default RESULTS

Button shows 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and the pot goes my way.

Yes, that's right. He called a preflop 3x BB raise with 2 cold-callers with 72o.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:44 AM

If your read is right, your play is perfect.

I think I would make some sort of bet on the turn. A raise is almost surely from a better flush.

You got more chips out of it than I would have done, thanks to your read. If you regularly get that sort of thing right, then sticking to your plan is clearly the right play.

Guy.

Old 01-21-2004, 09:49 AM

If you regularly get that sort of thing right

That is the crux of the issue, isn't it. That *if* is a very big word. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2004, 03:59 PM

Kurn,

Well played.