Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2004, 03:00 AM

Default Stop and Go

[note: Go is an ancient chinese board game]

Mencius Said: ..... Go is surely a minor art, but if you don't give it your single-minded devotion you'll never master it. GoAutumnal is the finest player in all the land. But suppose he tries to teach the game to two people. One listens intently, studying with single-minded devotion. The other listens, but he's dreaming of swans in flight, the heft of bow and tethered arrow, the shot. Although he studies beside the first, he'll never be anywhere near as good. Is that because he's less intelligent? Not at all.

Old 01-24-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Stop and Go

this is one of those games that seemed interesting to me, until i learned the rules
Old 01-24-2004, 08:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is one of those games that seemed interesting to me, until i learned the rules

[/ QUOTE ]

Go may just be the hardest game in the world. To me, at least.

SpaceAce
Old 01-24-2004, 09:13 AM

Yes, but Daryn could not bring himself to say "It was too hard for me" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2004, 02:59 PM

I was discussing various games with a friend of mine and he
seemed to think that Go had an extremely high level of
complexity, so much so that there are so many levels of
competency compared to even a game such as chess! It is
much more difficult to analyze positions and games, unlike
chess, wherein it is often the case (but not always!) that a
position can be scrutinized under intense analysis. Lucky
for me, I read the rules a long time ago but there weren't
many books in the library on the subject (I was told most of
really good material on Go is in Japanese and Korean.).

Unforunately for me, the chess and bridge sections of the
library were so heavily stocked! It's too difficult to be
exceptionally competent in more than one of these games!
Old 01-24-2004, 05:00 PM

there's a good reason i didn't say that, and that is because it's not "too hard for me".

do you have some problem with me? why is it that every month or so i have to deal with a new internet loser who obviously must feel challenged by my intellectual prowess to make such a post??
Old 01-25-2004, 08:05 AM

Ummmm..."intellectual prowess"

No evidence for that here.

If you are regularly getting sarcastic remarks about what you say, perhaps it is not the "internet losers" who are the problem at all, perhaps it's what you say. Maybe you need to change your attitude towards other people, and stop assuming you are their intellectual superior.

Your habit of simply dismissing what other people say, without any attempt at reasoned argument, smacks of supreme arrogance. Shall we consider some examples of your arrogant nature?

"i have around 25,000 hands in pokertracker and my aces hold up around 80% of the time. to say that they get cracked 2/3 of the time is just complete nonsense"

....spoken like a true statesman of the game.

"those political guys in the other topics forum are something else"

....so, your arguments failing to win support?

"i'm not trying to joke around here.. but if you really don't understand what they're trying to say, you have my pity "

....there you go, pitying your *intellectual inferiors* again.

"i'm not sure what you mean by this.. but i can really only assume you're serious, and i wish you luck in the future"

....though it's clear your last remark is not serious.

"1 in 7 would be 6-1 against.. and i'm pretty sure you're incorrect. good to see you've made great use of your 3rd post here on 2+2 "

....nice welcome to the forum Daryn.

All obtained by a quick search on your username - the first 20 posts (only a couple of minutes reading). I also note, with some amusement, that you have your own *hate* thread. Now that has to be saying something.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It's true, I did come across some answers from you that appeared to to contribute to the discussion, so at least we know you're not all bad. But any game (and I am talking the *game of life*) needs work if we are to improve, maybe you are happy with your intellectual abilities, just a little bit to be done on the personality side, perhaps.

Maybe change that picture too - it can't be helping.

Burrito's anyone?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:50 AM

Default Could someone explain the rules to me **N/M**

Old 01-25-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Could someone explain the rules to me **N/M**

Gahnia,

I know little about the game, but the following link, from the American Go Association, Go rules provides some rules and explanations - and other detailed information about the game, just browse.

-Zeno
Old 01-25-2004, 11:38 PM

the greatest part about your post is that every instance where you tried to quote me to show that you're right, you actually prove yourself wrong. let me go down the list...

"i have around 25,000 hands in pokertracker and my aces hold up around 80% of the time. to say that they get cracked 2/3 of the time is just complete nonsense"

....spoken like a true statesman of the game.

is what i said true or false? true i think.

"those political guys in the other topics forum are something else"

....so, your arguments failing to win support?

no, my arguments aren't failing to win support.. it would be pretty hard because you'd expect one of the two sides to agree with almost any argument. but alas, i don't post on the political stuff, i was just making a comment on how crazy they are.

"i'm not trying to joke around here.. but if you really don't understand what they're trying to say, you have my pity "

....there you go, pitying your *intellectual inferiors* again.

if you read this whole thread you would see that easy e is talking about a craps system and a "hot shooter"... yeah i guess i do pity him. maybe you're right on this one

"i'm not sure what you mean by this.. but i can really only assume you're serious, and i wish you luck in the future"

....though it's clear your last remark is not serious.

this is a funny one. the guy who i'm replying to tried to make some kind of sarcastic comment, but i really didn't understand it, and i said so. in the end, i genuinely wished him luck! if i was trying to make a joke, you'd know it.

"1 in 7 would be 6-1 against.. and i'm pretty sure you're incorrect. good to see you've made great use of your 3rd post here on 2+2 "

....nice welcome to the forum Daryn.

this one comes from a post where a guy was asking about odds and how to figure them. i correctly outlined the process, and then some guy with 3 posts started saying i was wrong in a pretty irritating manner. all i did was reply and told him he was wrong.. i didn't insult him. (but he was wrong)

in closing, i still don't see what your problem is... and (here's my one-liner insult) if you really spent time searching the archives to try to "get me" i find that pretty sad.. considering you didn't even succeed!

thank you, come again.