Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 01:49 AM

Default Winning Omaha/8 Poker Mark Tenner Book

Has anyone read Winning Omaha/8 Poker by Mark Tenner? I'm looking for something besides Zee's book on O8 (which is excellent by the way). Thanks for the help.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Winning Omaha/8 Poker Mark Tenner Book

I asked the same question a few posts back but did not get any replies - I'm anxious also to find out some other recommendations on O/8 other than Zee's book (which I also agree is a great book).

Also has anyone read Cappelletti's O/8 book?
Old 01-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Well, DPcondit just posted the following in the other poker forum:

[ QUOTE ]
I have read about half of it (Cappelletti's). My initial comments about too loose of starting standards still stands. Actually, I find many of his ideas thought provoking.

However, this would probably not make a very good first book, or beginners book. I would recommend one get a solid grounding in the fundamentals and playing experience before reading this book. Many of his strategies can be profitable in the hands of a shrewd player, who understands the nuances of the game, but would probably backfire in the hands of a lesser player.

Also, some of his statistics are either bad typos, or poorly explained. Nonetheless, I still find value in his book, and find it very interesting reading.

I also picked up Tenner/Krieger at around the same time. I haven't read nearly as much of the Tenner/Krieger book yet, because it goes over so much of the basics. However, based on first impressions, it would make a good book for someone looking for a solid grounding in basic strategies (which is not to say it doesn't go beyond the basic or intermediate level, but it appears much more conservative than Cappelletti).

Don

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a full review, but helpful nonetheless.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:34 PM

I'm nearly done with the Tenner/Krieger book. I'm not a great O/8 player, which is why I'm reading the book. I play in a regular game that is half O/8, so I wanted to make sure I'm playing it right.

I have read the Ray Zee book, and I think this new book is a great compliment to that book. The Tenner book talks a great deal about how to bet and how to play, and spends less time talking about how to play specific hands. I think Zee's book does that better. However, the Tenner book is excellent, in my opinion, and I definitely learned some things that I hadn't thought about before. While I tend to win at O/8, this book should help me make a bit more.

I'm sure experienced O/8 experts know all about the stuff in this book, but for some, like me, it should be very helpful.

Regards,

T
Old 01-13-2004, 08:21 PM

Perfect, that's exactly the kind of opinion I needed, thank you. Besides, if the advice turns out to be bogus (which I'm sure it can't all be) at least we'll learn a few things about how not to play O8 (hopefully at not too high a cost!). That's what 2+2 is for, to let more experienced people tell the greenhorns why they suck [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Best of luck.
Old 01-14-2004, 11:01 AM

I found the website lowlimitomaha.com
very useful as a beginner. It outlines a simple and relatively
safe strategy for playing in loose passive games.

I have since read the Zee book which is excellent and
have just ordered the Tenner/Krieger book.

I read a bad review of the Capaletti book but havent
read it myself.

Mark.
Old 01-15-2004, 06:08 AM

I wrte a review of the Mike C book, as well as comments on other hilo books here:

web page
Old 01-15-2004, 06:18 AM

Default Thanks, that was the one I was thinking of (n/m)

Old 01-19-2004, 02:41 PM

Does it cover PL Omaha/8 or is it just limit?

Jon