Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 02:18 PM

Default PLO Newbie Question

Party PLO $25
I have $24 after just doubling through with AAxx heads up
I am in the SB and get dealt K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
After six limpers what is my play?
I raised the pot $4 and got three callers.
Flop: Q 10 2 rainbow
What is my play here since I am first to act.
Do I bet the pot again as a semi bluff, check and call or check fold, or even check raise all in???
I may have picked the worst option and check called the $6 flop bet and folded to a pot bet on the turn when a blank hit.
I am a solid NLHE player, but am very new to PLO.
Thanks for any advice guys.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: PLO Newbie Question

You really need replies from people other than me here, but...

I wouldn't make the preflop raise. You are out of position and there are lots of people in the pot. Chances are several will call. If you don't hit top set you won't have much on the flop. It will be hard to get right.

Funny flop, this. You have an ordinary straight draw and an overpair. This isn't something to get very excited about in Omaha.

I don't think it's giving up much to just check and fold, or call if someone early bets and gets a couple of other callers, or someone makes a tiny bet.

Don't get excited if you hit trips. Someone has a straight. You want an ace or nine here.

Guy.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Re: PLO Newbie Question

i like a pot-raise with this hand. it's very strong and you want to be able to get all in if you flop a set. the only risk is that someone with aces will reraise you. so at a table with people who don't raise initially with aces i would be less likely to raise, though i would still usually do it.

on the flop, i would usually bet out. the Q-T on board means you could be beaten, but at the same time it makes it more likely you will get called by a straight draw or a pair + straight draw, making you a good favorite. i really don't like checking and calling here, even though the bet is small enough to give you odds. i'd much rather just check-raise all in. even if behind you have as many as 14 outs to win assuming a diamond flopped for a backdoor flush possibility.