Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2003, 12:17 AM

Default Should I have folded a big hand?

Hey there. First, I usually hang out in the low-limit room, so this is my first post on the tournament area. I originally posted the question over there, but someone correctly pointed out my mistake.

OK - I play in the Sunday evening 20+2 hold 'em tournament at Party more often than not. I've had some good and bad sessions (actually made it to #11 once). Here's a hand from this week that I would like some thoughts on.

Playing for about 1-1/2 hours. Players to be worried about are me at ~2200 chips, and player immediately to my left, who has 5000-6000. He has shown himself to be a decent player so far (hence gaining 5-6x the starting chips). I am in middle position. Limits are 200/400 at this point.

Dealt AJs. Good hand. Folded to me. I raise. Other guy re-raises, everyone else folds. As I said, he's been a decent player, so I'm thinking AK or high pair (at least JJ). I call, thinking that I'm probably at least a slight dog.

Flop comes up A-rag-rag, rainbow. Thinking he might be playing KK-JJ, I bet out. He raises. I'm now worried about AK primarily (since I think he might slowplay AA), but he might be bluffing with a pocket pair. I reluctantly call.

Turn is a J. Great card for me if he really has AK. I think about check-raising, but figure if he's really on the pair he might check through. I bet, he raises again. I really don't know what to do here. I think I should have folded and saved my remaining chips, but it was a tough thing to do. I call.

River is another J, giving me the full boat. I have very few chips left at this point (enough to call only two blinds or so), so I bet, he raises, and I call with my 50 or so chips remaining.

Results: He turns over AA (as some of you probably guessed), and I take my beating and am out of the tournament.

So, main question is where should I have dropped this hand, or did I just get unlucky. I can rationalize folding after his raise on the flop or turn, but I'm wondering if I'm just basing that on the results.

Anyway, I would appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance for the help.