Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2003, 02:32 AM

Default Any recommendations???

Any recommendations on improving play in NL HE tourneys? I'm a limit player, but I love to play the NL tourneys (especially when they're freerolls... hehehehe). I have TPFAP, and have read it a few times, but some of it seems french to me. Maybe because I've only been playing for about 4 months, now. I'm a decent limit player, and have cahsed in a few freerolls. I see alot of plays made that I don't quite understand, and would like to understand NL better. If there are any other books out there I should get for this, please let me know. Also, if there is anything/anyplace online that I can get help, I would appreciate it. I know posting hands in the limit forums has helped alot in my limit play, but I don't know about posting hands from tourneys. I think NL would be a game of understanding WHY someone plays something a certain way, because it seems there aren't as amny guidelines as there are in limit hold em. I could be wrong, or stating it in a difficult way to understand, but I know what I'm trying to say... jsut don't know how to say it.....

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

'Mez
Old 12-14-2003, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Any recommendations???

TPFAP assumes you already know how to play no-limit. The purpose of that book is showing how to adjust from the cash games to tournaments.

To learn about no-limit buy the 2 Ciaffone books 'pot and no limit poker', and 'improve your poker'. And read the relevant forums at 2+2.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:30 PM

I like TJ and Toms book Championship no-limit and pot-limit hold'em. It's definately worth the money.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:43 AM

I second JohnG's book recommendations. Both are excellent books.

You should also read Sklansky's "Theory of Poker" if you have not done so already.

And, for what it's worth, I think you can leave the Cloutier & McEvoy books on the bookstore shelves and not be missing out.

Guy.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:42 AM

Play!

Experience is the best teacher if you understand the basics of hold'em and have good card sense. At the beginning of this year I had no clue how to play no limit tourneys but they seemed interesting. I then proceded to read this forum and play a whole bunch of $5 no limit sit n goes. After a few of those it started to become clearer to me and I started playing bigger sng's and multi table tourneys.

The caliber of play at that level is pretty bad though. But I still consider myself a limit player and that is my comfort zone. But once you get comfortable with and adapt to the power of big bets and understand stack sizes it becomes clearer what the right moves are.

My biggest problem has always been one moment of weakness and lapse in judgement somewhere along the line where I push 'em all in when I know I shouldn't have.

If you can lay down some very strong hands, push 'em around when you have position and stack advantage and the patience to wait when you don't you can mold your limit skills into success at no limit. In limit making moves often doesn't make sense but in no limit it is a requirement. You just have to understand when and where to make them which is granted through experience. All the TV poker tourneys and watching the big boys at final tables really helped me in this aspect.