Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2003, 08:08 PM

Default I hate being a moron. Help.

I am like a baby crawling....learning this hobby/game.

When tracking your results you refer to BB/hr. Could someone clarify what should be obvious... What does this mean?

If you are playing 3/6 for an 3 hours... and won 2BB/hr how much did you win? If you sat down with $100 and are leaving with $150 3 hours later... what is your BB/hr?

Also, if you are playing 2 tables how do you record your results? If you only played for an hour, but were on 2 tables didn't you play 2 hours worth of results?

Feed ME!

NEED MORE INPUT -- Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-11-2003, 08:15 PM

Default Re: I hate being a moron. Help.

With my luck I'll screw this up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

At $3/$6 the BigBet is $6

2BB/hr = (2*$6)*3)=$36

You won $50 that's 8.3BBs ($50/$6) in 3 hours which reduces to 2.8BB/hr (8.3/3)

added ... what I do is track BB/#ofHands you see more hands online than B&M which is where the BB/hr originated.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:16 PM

I'll try, though I'm still pretty new myself..

BB/hr is a way to "standardize", if you will, the successes you are having at a particular game, without regard to level. BB/hr, incidentally, means "Big Bet per hour"

I could tell you I have made $50 in 3 hours, and this wouldn't do you much good. If I did that at a 30/60 game, well, I'm sucking wind. If I did it at a $.50/$1 game, I'm rocking the free world.

Incidentally, $50 in three hours at the 3/6 table would be 2.78BB/hr, if my math is right. A pretty good take.

P.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:32 PM

THANK YOU -- Seemed obvious. In another post they are talking about the standard maybe being 1 or 1.5BB/hr and then debating if online it would be higher because of the speed of the game. As a newbie 1.5BB/hr at a 3/6 game for an hour means I only won $9 !?! Seems like low expectations. However when you factor in winning sessions and losing sessions over thousands of hands or hundreds of hours...could 1.5BB/hr really be the goal?

Feed Me!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:50 PM

I can't help you with a definitive answer to that one, sorry.

Maybe someone else will. Good Luck.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:09 PM

In a typical high limit game, I would expect a good player would exact about 1 to 1 1/2 BB/hr. Though using those number on the 3/6 tables gives you $9 an hour, you also need to realize that the players you're up against at that level are by and large less skilled, and also that, online, you can play multiple tables at once.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:40 PM

BB/hr doesn't have a lot of bearing at the lower limits. It means little or nothing. I think Tommy once stated how he periodically played 6-12 while waiting for bigger games and was making about $75 an hour at it. Now, that's probably impossible to maintain, but I really don't see why you can't make over 3 bets an hour against most low limit players. And that's live, tipping $1 per hand, paying $4 rake, and only getting 25 hands an hour. 3-6 or 4-8 are about the same. I don't see what the problem is with beating those games. All the players have so many leaks that it's like being in a candy store.

~D
Old 12-12-2003, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, $50 in three hours at the 3/6 table would be 2.78BB/hr, if my math is right. A pretty good take.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a little nickpicking here...
This is NOT a good take, it is a slightly above average
take for such a short period of time. If you said 2.7BB/Hr
over 300 hours that is a good take.

In a good 3 hour session I'd hope to be making about 10 BB/Hr.

DK
Old 12-12-2003, 01:14 PM

Excellent point.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:57 PM

$ per hour is a useful measure since you can compare it to other vocations you can choose. If you can make $9/hour at 7-11 or $15/hour at Poker, which would you choose?

Big-Bets per hour is useful for determining who well you are beating a particular game. The benchmark is 1bb/hour. If you are beating a game for more than that there is a good chance you can beat the next level higher for more $/hour.

The bb/hour measure starts falling apart on-line: you get more hands/hour and can play multiple tables. I would ignore the fact that you are getting more hands per hour. I would measure each game separately since that's what will help you move up. Just keep in mind that you are earning twice as much $/hour since you routinely play two tables.

- Louie