Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2003, 05:07 PM

Default Bad Santa

Nope, I haven't seen the movie (sorry, no mini-review from me until I've actually seen it). I find it amuzing how this movie was villified even before it came out (before people had an opportunity to watch it). Drudge linked to many articles claiming a rift between Disney and Miramax over the movie (both Disney and Miramax claim those stories to be false). Right now Drudge has as his lead "Bad Santa Hits #1 at Box Office." Of course, if you read the article, this is a true statement (Bad Santa was #1 at the Box office for MONDAY only --- it was #6 over the weekend).

I don't understand what the controversy over this movie is (though, as I said I haven't seen it). From what I've read, Billy Bob doesn't play the "actual" Santa, but rather a mall Santa. Yes the movie shows him as a drunk, but the original Miracle on 34th street also showed a mall Santa as a drunk. The movie Point Break shows a bunch of people dressed as ex-presidents robbing banks --- no outrage there; why the outrage over someone dressed as Santa robbing a mall?

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the controversy is with this movie? Why were so many of the more consevative wings of the media so outraged?
Old 12-02-2003, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Bad Santa

I wasn't even aware that there was any controversy around this movie. It was great.

Very dark and twisted, very funny.

From the director of Crumb and Ghost World. If you enjoyed those movies, you'll probably like Bad Santa. If you didn't like Ghost World, there's a good chance you'll still like Bad Santa.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:31 AM

Default Re: Bad Santa

i haven't seen the movie. i would, but i don't have any plans for the immediate future. i also had no idea there was any controversy around it.

seriously, why the big deal over f*cking santa claus? he's a fictional character. who gives a rats a55?