Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2003, 12:23 AM

Default 50+5 NL tourney on UB - 2 hands

It's 11:15 and I am out so you can guess how it went but I have a couple questions.

First: Hand number 4, I am in MP with Black Aces. The blinds are 5-10 and checked to me. I raise to 100 and get zero callers. Was it too big of a bet? What is more reasonable? I won 15 bucks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Second Hand: I'm the small blind a few hands later and get KK. 5 callers for 10 to me and I bet the pot. get 2 callers.

Flop: comes 4 5 6 Yuck. I bet the pot and MP goes all in. I think steal. I called and was very wrong. Flips a pair of sixes and I'm done.

My question is this: How big a bet should you make with AA or KK when the blinds are only 5-10??

In both cases I was wrong. I think my uncalled Aces messed me my play on the KK. The board didn't help at all either but I didn't think a low straight draw would stick around in a raise pot. Turns out it didn't. How big of a raise would be needed to make the 66 fold? For that matter do you want them to?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2003, 04:18 AM

Default Re: 50+5 NL tourney on UB - 2 hands

Hand # 1: Yeah, 10 x BB is probably too big a raise. Not that you'll never get any callers, but most of the time you won't. 3 to 4 times the BB is more likely to get you a caller or two, at least in the UB multis. It's not an awful play, IMO, because every once in a while you will pick up a caller, and obviously you are ahead, but most of the time you're going to be raking in the blinds only with that kind of raise.

Hand # 2: I think you're pot-sized pre-flop raise was fine. Your call of the all-in was obviously disastrous. That is a tough hand to lay down, particularly with no A in the flop, but it WAS a dangerous board. You do want 66 calling your KK every time, you just don't want them flopping a set.
Old 11-27-2003, 04:27 AM

Default Re: 50+5 NL tourney on UB - 2 hands

Generally do the opposite of what you did: bet less when there is no voluntary money in the pot (3-5xbb here), and more when there is much (I'd say ~1.5xPot), if first player calls it will probably start a calling cascade, and you really want Ax out. You will lose a lot with overpair vs. set, but since you failed to limit the field you will be behind a fair amount with this flop.