Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2003, 03:12 AM

Default 200 SnG Heads-up recommendations?

Party 200+15 SnG

1) Big stack has 8000 I have 2000 and it's just gone heads-up. What would be proper preflop strategy if he is loose passive? (I'm thinking if he's going to give me free looks I shouldn't raise much and hope I hit a hand)

2) If you're thinking if I have to ask I shouldn't be playing this limit, you're probably right. It's a little above my bankroll but I've had success in the few I've played. So next question - do you notice an appreciable difference between the 100 players and the 200?

Regards,

Jamie
Old 11-24-2003, 04:21 AM

Default Re: 200 SnG Heads-up recommendations?

Hi Jamie,

I'm very aggressive heads-up. I want to see every flop unless I'm against a monster raise with absolute trash. And I'm going to bet the flop if I hit even the tiniest piece of it ... and even if I don't. If I get reraised on the flop, then I'll slow down and figure my opponent has hit something. If I've hit anything, I'll call. Otherwise I'll let him have that one.

Basically, once it's heads-up, I want all of the pots where neither of us has anything, all of the pots where neither of us hits anything, and all of the pots where I have or hit something. And that hyper-aggressive strategy has been very good to me in heads-up play.

Cris
Old 11-24-2003, 04:58 AM

It depends on the blind level. Generally when you get heads up at party the blinds are so big that you need to start raising from the SB almost every time if your opponent will fold with any frequency.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the response sam

I agree, but if he's loose passive then raising is -ev without a decent hand. However, I'm short-stacked and may not be able to wait for a decent hand - hence the dilemma.

Regards,

Jamie
Old 11-24-2003, 06:58 PM

Hi Cris thanks for the reply,

I'm really aggressive heads-up also, probably to a fault.

This was a SnG. Your advice sounds like it was geared toward small blinds like at the end of a multi-table. I may not have communicated that well.
i.e. I've got 2000 and blinds are 200-400 -- so no multiple moves in one hand being made.

I got junk in BB when he called SB and I didn't make a move on flop. I got junk in SB and folded. I got junk in BB, he called SB and I didn't go all-in and again had no piece of the flop and 9 high and I didn't make a move. If there wasn't any chance he would lay down I would have. After that it was pretty much over.

Maybe I should have made a move in the SB with junk but I thought I would get a better hand next hand, even 10 high. Nada.

Regards,

Jamie
Old 11-24-2003, 06:59 PM

It all depends on blind sizes
Old 11-24-2003, 07:11 PM

Sorry Bozeman,

I should have been clearer. It's the end of a SnG at Party so blinds in this case were 200-400 but are often 250-500 and sometimes 150-300.

Regards,

Jamie
Old 11-24-2003, 07:41 PM

I think the blinds need to be 100-200 (maybe 150-300) to take advantage of the passive part of his play. You just don't have enough to call several times and fold if the flop misses you. I think you have a couple of hands to pick one that will be a marginal favorite and get it allin (if he will fold to a raise, even better).

Craig