Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2003, 06:03 AM

Default Too Much Respect?

The 20/49 was way low on the aggressive scale for LA. There are several weakend players that I see only occasionally.

Hand 1:

I raise in early MP with Ad Qd. Player on my immediate left reraises. Two call. I call.

Flop is Td 8c 5d

BB checks I bet, hoping the reraiser has an over pair and will reraise. (I was thinking that it would give me a better chance of winning if I hit an A or maybe a Q.) BB calls I call.

Turn is As.

BB checks. I bet, sure that this reraiser would not have reraised on the flop with AK. BB folds.

Turn is 6h.

I bet. Preflop raiser calls.

I turn over my AQ.

The other guy has a set of Tens.

Hand 2:

A few hands later there are some walkers. I’m in the BB.

A weak player limps. The SB completes. I have Qc Qs. Four more chips pop out of my stack, like toast pops out of a toaster in an I Love Lucy episode. They both call.

Flop is 3c 2c 2s.

I bet. WP calls. SB folds.

Turn is the 8h.

I bet. WP calls.

River is the 3s.

I bet, secure in the knowledge that I’ll be raking the pot or folding to a reraise. WP calls.

I turn over my QQ. WP turns over KK.

The thing I can’t figure out is if they are always putting me on pocket Aces, why are five or six of them always calling my raises.

A lot of times, when I have no idea what they have, I hate it. Tonight I had no idea what they had and loved it.

Old 11-16-2003, 07:22 AM

Default Re: Too Much Respect?

As for hand one, I dont think I would have bet the flop. I really dont think you want him to narrow the field. If he does have an overpair, you just going to have to make your hand. I think you are better off betting off letting him bet and then perhaps checkraising, traping the rest of the field. If you make an ace or a queen your hand is going to be good enough of the time where you dont need to lead into him hoping he narrows the field for you. I would have bet the turn and river also.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:20 AM

You were playing against people who do not know how to play poker. That's a good thing don't complain!
Old 11-16-2003, 01:32 PM

I'm not.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:35 PM

Hi Gabe, your post of the first hand is a bit confusing since you said you bet the flop (and then called?). Did your opponent in fact raise your flop bet? If so, when you called, he might have put you on a diamond draw, and then decided that your bet on the turn could only mean a set of Aces. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] With no 3rd diamond appearing on the river, and only one overcard, it's hard to imagine that he still can't muster a raise in a pot that size. WOW.

In the second hand, the guy must have dreamed up a really scary hand for you like Quad deuces, A, 2 or again, AA.

If these guys are playing so scared and always putting you on the nuts, I think I might come to LA after all. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

You planning any visits here during the next few months?

LGPG,

Babe [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2003, 07:40 AM

I think you should check the flop.

And given your play, I think the turn is an easy checkraise.