Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2003, 01:15 PM

Default when to play A2, etc.

Is it ever profitable to play A2, A3, etc. when they are not suited. These hands arent ranked in "Hold 'em Poker For Advanced Players". It has Ax suited as ranked 5, does this mean that you will never play A2, A3, etc. if they arent suited, and when they are suited you play them as a group 5?
Old 11-01-2003, 01:37 PM

Default Re: when to play A2, etc.

I only play Axo (below AT) if I'm in the blind and it's less than one SB to complete. It's just two easy to make a second best hand with these cards.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:12 PM

Agreed, I generally only stay with these hands if they are free (BB) or cheap (SB). Most of the time, I won't play them in SB either. The only exception, of course, would be very shorthanded or heads up, where it will generally be profitable to stick with any A (sometimes any K 2). <-- to see the flop of course, not to stick w/ til' showdown.

In a full game though, like chess says, it's too easy to make a losing hand with these cards. What to do if an A flops with these cards? I think half the time people end up check/calling down and throw away bets to any A w/ any kicker.

Course on the other hand, I do find myself getting beat by these small aces, in instances where I stick around w/ AQ, etc., and ended up getting beaten by two pair when the board comes up rags. Oh well, these are just the ones that stick with me - big aces will win much more often against small aces (obviously).

jbc
Old 11-01-2003, 04:24 PM

so the chance of getting a straight doesnt make playing this hand worthwhile very often?
Old 11-01-2003, 04:39 PM

You mean the chance to fill only the ignorant (AKA "idiot") end of the straight?
Old 11-01-2003, 05:04 PM

Aww muck em. When you think about starting hands in hold em, you usually want the lesser of you hand to hit. e.g. AQ, you would rather a Q hit than your ace. So A2, A3, is junk, you gotta hit your hand twice to win
Old 11-03-2003, 12:00 PM

play them.

1) call behind, when you suspect that no one has an Ace has come in before you. and you are on button or cut off or small blind.

2) raise, if you are first-in in late position that you feel there is a good chance the blinds will fold to a raise.

3) call, on button (maybe cut-off) if you are first in and suspect no one has folded an Ace and know that blinds will defend with any trash and they will play some how more straight-forward if you simply just call.

4) free play from big blind.

5) call 1 bet, if the raise come from late position and it could be either a weak raise (JT, KQ, 87s, etc.) or a steal raise (86o, 75o, K2o, Q7o, any two cards, etc.)

you fold. in all other situations almost all the time.

Kenny
Old 11-03-2003, 12:03 PM

u guys are way too harsh on AXo. they can be played plenty. just don't play when you are likely to be 2nd best if you flop A.

Kenny
Old 11-03-2003, 02:40 PM

You don't play weak Aces simply because you are getting into a pot with only one card that can make top pair. Remember, holdem is a top pair game. A weak Ace unsuited give you three outs for top pair with a lousy kicker. Not a good bet unless there are other reasons for it as posters have mentioned.

However, I don't subscribe to the belief that if an Ace flops, you are automatically going to get out kicked by another Ace. I have won some nice pots with A-5 suited, where I only had Aces. We have all raise Kings preflop only to be cracked by some little old lady playing any Ace.

When an Ace hits the board, it can be one of four things.

1) The only Ace in play, which doesn't matter.
2) The second Ace, which gives anyone holding an Ace top pair
3) The third Ace, in which Kickers will play - ouch for the weak Ace
4) The fourth Ace, which will get expensive - double ouch

I would suggest that when you have a weak Ace, about 2/3 of the time you will be in the 2 situation. Since we are about 20-25 cards into the deck, we would expect only two Aces in play if they are normally disbursed through the deck. In addition, some other players may have folded out a weak Ace earlier. It does happen. Finally, the board will often take kickers out of play by pairing up.

So if you get in a pot with a weak Ace, and one flips, its a hand you can't fold unless there are strong indications that top pair is beaten. I also think you need to be stubborn about not folding a hand which needs two pairs to beat it. Yes it will cost at times, but you will also take down some nice pots where someone was trying to bully out the weak Ace.

Old 11-13-2003, 01:14 PM

If you do get "lucky" (sometimes this luck is not good!) and make your wheel, you're always vulnerable to a bigger straight.

My preference is too stay away from Ax off unless I'm button (in a very weak game, and the cards are treating me right) or it plays cheap (SB, BB). The problem is that there are very flops that work for these hands that you can be comfortable enough with to make any money. Generally, you're stuck check/calling most flops that appear to help a little. You may win a few, but probably not enough to be worth the risk.