Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2003, 12:57 AM

Default A hand

Crappy $30/$60 at the track. I have a crappy tight image. Loose passive awful player limps UTG. OK tight straightforward type raises in EP. Loose but good player coldcalls in MP. I call in the BB with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop:

6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet, UTG calls, EP raises, MP folds, I call, UTG calls.

Turn:

6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, UTG checks, EP bets, I call, UTG calls.

River:

3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet. Meh?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:09 AM

Default Re: A hand

Bet the turn.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:09 AM

I think betting the turn is the best play by far... am I missing something?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:19 AM

every time i hit 4 of a kind, 3 on the table, in a hold'em game i bet at the first opportunity - i am always amazed at the ammount of action that seems to generate - this can only be explained by the fact that the expectation is that if you had 4 of a kind you would slowplay

with a crappy tight image i think your play on the flop looks ok but i would bet and reraise the turn - my experience suggests that your opponents will find it easier to believe that you are playing a 4 aggressively than you are betting 4 of a kind, even if you are a tighty

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 10-22-2003, 01:24 AM

I think you're probably right, but only if I'm fairly sure the preflop raiser will raise the turn as well. I dunno.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a crappy tight image.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a crappy tight player. What's the problem? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Told you I didn't like the lineup. Quaffing Spaten Oktoberfest at Old Chicago was far more productive use of my time. Would that I had gone there during the afternoon instead of sitting in that Yamaha game. I think that the gamblers had their fill during the tournament. If I weren't busted, I'd probably take a week or three off myself.

What was the question?

When you bet the river after that sequence, I think it tends to say, "I have the nuts," which probably isn't the message you want to convey, seeing as you have the nuts. You might bet the turn or perhaps three-bet the flop or I don't know. Yeah, bet the turn.

I don't understand the language you kids use these days. "Loose but good"? What the hell is that? "Meh"? Who or what is a "meh"?

Nice hit.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:34 AM

I like to raise on the turn, just because people won't believe that you could possibly have the 6. Anyone with a 4, pocket pair, or maybe even 2 overcards might call here, not to mention the straight and flush draw.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:37 AM

I like to bet out when I catch quads on the turn because everyone expects you to try to check-raise or do something fancy.

Good thing another 6 didn't come on the river.

Don't laugh, I saw it happen once.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:47 AM

Hey I won 200 bucks in that crappy game in 3 hours, I'll take it. Got sucked out on a couple times too. The omaha game broke after you left and a couple of them made their way to the hold'em game which is always good. Game was still terrible though but at least Matt left pretty quick.

I dunno I'm leaning towards the turn bet as the way to go here. Most 30/60 players probably raise the turn with an overpair. Anyways I got the double pay off on this hand which pretty much made my night. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2003, 02:03 AM

No offense intended, but "tight image" is a pretty relative term at Canterbury, and I'm sure that I won't be the only respondent to say that calling a raise in four-way pot w/ 64s isn't exactly "tight." Especially when loose maniacs at "the track" are not unlikely to backraise after limping. I know.....you weren't asking about this....

why not checkraise the turn? it's pretty hard to put you on the case 6 especially since you've bet out...you'll still likely get called by EP's likely over-pair(he may even call w/ only overcards hoping to hit one--this is canterbury afterall)maybe even reraised and you might even be suprised to find UTG come along for the ride, if he doesn't you haven't lost anything as long as EP doesn't fold, and if they both fold you probably haven't lost anything anyway, since they are unlikely to pay off on the end.

Mike