Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2003, 12:40 AM

Default 30-60 hand

I'm in the big blind with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG limps. She's a terrible player. She plays about three times as many hands as anyone else in the game and will pay off like Richard Nixon trying to buy a Watergate burglar's silence.

Mid-position player raises. He fancies himself a good, solid player, but he's relatively weak-tight and enjoys a good laydown as much as a good lay down. There's a cold-caller behind him by a pretty tight player who uses the phrase Running Bad more than it appears in the famous song by that title. Small blind calls, as do I, and we see the flop 5 handed.

Flop is T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Small blind checks, I bet, UTG calls and pre-flop raiser raises. Pre-flop cold-caller and small blind fold. I call as does UTG.

Turn is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. We check around.

River is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], making board T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

I bet. UTG hesitates and calls. Pre-flop raiser shows his hand to his neighbors, shrugs disgustedly and folds.

My hand is good. Pre-flop raiser complains he folded a T because he thought I had a straight.

Thoughts?

Old 10-16-2003, 01:49 AM

Default Re: 30-60 hand

nice bet, as long as you will fold to a raise.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:59 AM

If he did have a Ten, you're right about the MP being weak-tight. His check on the turn is really bad. I think his fold on the end, even after UTG called, is bad too. I liked the line about the good laydown, and it seems to fit.

With the Preflop raiser so positioned, I would have bet the flop and just called his raise, too. On the turn, I would check and call if he did bet.

I'm no expert, but I think getting guys to fold the best hand is good. So the river bet by you is a good play, I hope I would do it!

Old 10-16-2003, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...and will pay off like Richard Nixon trying to buy a Watergate burglar's silence.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm telling Monica Lewinsky or Florida recall jokes in the year 2033, I hope some smartass tells me to stop making myself look like an old man.

As for the hand, if your opponent is weak-tight, it's a bit dangerous to wait until the river to bet him off his hand. 3-bet the flop. It's not as if you're that far behind an overpair.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:47 AM

I think I know what happened. The preflop raiser was moving along just fine, after raising with ace-ten or whatever before the flop, and catching top pair on the flop, and getting a raise in on the flop and not getting raised back, and then, it got checked to him on the turn, and he looked up and oh my god he thought, I'd better back off right now and maybe even be ready to muck this hand, 'cause we're at the turn and Andy's still got cards.

Old 10-16-2003, 04:28 AM

I like the play throughout.

PokerPrince
Old 10-16-2003, 02:55 PM

"If I'm telling Monica Lewinsky or Florida recall jokes in the year 2033, I hope some smartass tells me to stop making myself look like an old man."

-Point made and taken.

"3-bet the flop"

-What about purposely trying to keep the weak player on my left in the pot? Are there situations, and if so, is this one of them, where you're better off with a calling station on your immediate left, who's going to call with a lot of hands you can beat, and thereby make it difficult for a thinking player to overcall with the best hand?

Old 10-16-2003, 03:02 PM

I am quite surprised that you took down this pot. There are just too many hands that could beat yours. UTG must have really been a bad player if she called down with no T, no overpair, or no straight. Where can I find this game.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about purposely trying to keep the weak player on my left in the pot? Are there situations, and if so, is this one of them, where you're better off with a calling station on your immediate left, who's going to call with a lot of hands you can beat, and thereby make it difficult for a thinking player to overcall with the best hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once the pot has 7 big bets in it, I think you almost always want people to fold when you've got a hand like this.

The question is phrased in a manner which suggests that you were considering (when you called on the flop) to bet the river, hope to get the call from the weak player, and then watch the best hand fold. That's asking a lot. I don't think you can profitably play a hand with that river strategy in mind during the flop action.