Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2003, 05:52 PM

Default I\'m trashing small to medium pairs

I've noticed I've been losing alot with small to medium pairs. I like to at least limp in but seem to get stuck to them like velcro. I'm wondering if I should stop playing them for a while to get my disipline back. Should I stick with JJ and higher! I play at Stars and I swear every time I get a low to medium pair, it seems like someone has a larger pair 70% of the time. Anyone notice this or am I paranoid????

Thanks,
Jess
Old 10-12-2003, 06:09 PM

Default Re: I\'m trashing small to medium pairs

[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed I've been losing alot with small to medium pairs. I like to at least limp in but seem to get stuck to them like velcro. Anyone notice this or am I paranoid????

[/ QUOTE ]

I too struggle with the lore of small pairs. I burned myself with a pair of 4's last night in a B&M tourny. I just could'nt let them go

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I've learned that small pocket pairs are like driving accross the country with the kids and in-laws - it seems like a good idea for the first 30 seconds.

I will now limp in once in a great while with sm pocket pairs but I'll dump them if I don't catch a set on the flop.

Old 10-12-2003, 06:09 PM

Paranoid I think [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The value of sm-med pairs is all in if you make your set. Typically if I don't make my set on the flop and there is alot of betting I just fold them. I might bet out if in EP (especially if the board is scary) and see what kind of action I get. Sometimes people will fold right there if the flop didn't hit them. Moral of the story...Play them but don't get to attached...GL
Old 10-12-2003, 07:51 PM

Perhaps someone has a larger pair when you limp, but the problem of someone having a larger SET is so very rare it's not even worth discussing. If you're losing a lot of money with small pairs those times that you do NOT flop a set then you need to learn how to play them better.

As the blinds in a tourney go up, you should generally play small pairs less and less, because your chips become too valuable to bother with longshot hands, and because it costs too much to call with them, hoping to flop a set.

al
Old 10-13-2003, 08:12 AM

Jess,

I respectfully disagree about small pairs. Once you can play then well post flop, you will learn to enjoy playing small pocket pairs.

I had 44 in a no limit tourney on Saturday flopped my set and got paid.

I had 88 in the same tourney and doubled up when I flopped my set.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:27 AM

Bad idea to trash them. If you can get in the tank cheaply (and preferable with many limpers), you should play your pocket pairs, but abandon them quickly if you don't hit a set (odds 8/1). If you hit, you've got a very strong holding, if you don't hit, send them to the muck because they likely only cost you dough.