Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2003, 01:14 AM

Default How bad did I mess this up ?

I am playing 6-12. I get Ac and Kh in mid position. It is folded to me and I raise. Only the blind calls. This is an old guy who has shown down with some real [censored]. The flop is Ah 5h 6s. He checks, I bet. The turn is Jh. He bets, I raise and he calls. The river is a blank. He checks and I check.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:19 AM

Default Re: How bad did I mess this up ?

If you're referring to the grammar in the title of your post, you definitely messed it up prety badly. It should read: "How badly did I mess this up ?"

If you're referring to your play on the hand in question, I think you can value bet the river.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:24 AM

Why is that? It seems obvious to me that the guy has a flush. Called his bet on the turn, and then folded on the river if my flush didn't hit (assuming he bet the river).
Old 10-08-2003, 01:32 AM

Why does it look like he has a flush? A flush would either 3-bet you here or check-raise you, not bet-call. If you were really worried about him having a flush, the correct play would be to call the turn and call the river, not raise the turn. If you raise the turn and are 3-bet, you make it hard to call the river without hitting your 2nd nut flush. This is covered in HPFAP. HOWEVER, I would not put the BB on a flush on this hand, since he didn't show any aggression on the flop, and would raise him on the turn. Although, calling down would be fine as well.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:48 AM

I am new to this game, so I have a few more questions:
1) Why would a four flush show aggression on the flop against only one player? (The odds are not correct for a value bet)

2)If he were playing two crappy hearts he might bet out with his flush, then, when raised, be afraid that he is against a bigger flush.

3) If you raise the turn, and then are 3-bet, you have just cost yourself 3 BB with little chance to win the pot. If you just call him down, you cost yourself 2 BB with a chance to win the pot (if he doesn't have a flush as you suggest), and you can always raise the river if your second nut flush hits.

Okay, I know that was only one question and two declarative sentences, but you resonces to all three are appreciated.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Why would a four flush show aggression on the flop against only one player? (The odds are not correct for a value bet)

[/ QUOTE ]
You should bet out in these cases as a semi-bluff, not as a value bet. You're hoping that the flop missed your opponent(s) and you can pick it up right there. If you do happen to be called, you have plenty of outs. Thus, semi-bluff. It's good that you know what does and does not constitute a value bet though.

[ QUOTE ]
2)If he were playing two crappy hearts he might bet out with his flush, then, when raised, be afraid that he is against a bigger flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any player who would fear a bigger flush after only one raise on the turn headsup is weak/tight. You should need much more convincing than just a turn raise before you think your low flush is no good.

[ QUOTE ]
3) If you raise the turn, and then are 3-bet, you have just cost yourself 3 BB with little chance to win the pot. If you just call him down, you cost yourself 2 BB with a chance to win the pot (if he doesn't have a flush as you suggest), and you can always raise the river if your second nut flush hits.

[/ QUOTE ]
It sounds like you're thinking through this correctly. Let's say your opponent check-raises the turn. That would convince me much more that he could have better than top pair/top kicker. In this case you should merely call his check-raise, even though you have a very strong hand and a redraw to the 2nd nuts. You do this because you don't want to face the possibility of a cap. If you reraise and he caps, then you can't really call the river unless you improve to the flush, and even then I don't think I'd raise without the Ace, not wanting to have to face a 3-bet. But if you just call the turn c/r, then you have a much easier time calling a river bet without improving, and a much easier time raising the river when you do hit your flush.

I think that's basically what you were saying, but I wanted to put it into a situation where I would actually suspect my opponent having a flush.

For someone who is just learning how to play the game, it sounds like you think through things pretty well. Good for you! Welcome to the forum! Keep it up!
Old 10-08-2003, 07:04 AM

Default Results

The guy turned over 10 and 8 of hearts. He then looked at me and laughed and replied, 'nice turn raise'.Do you think I should have just called his turn bet and bet on the end if I hit the flush ?
Old 10-08-2003, 07:43 PM

anyone else ?