Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2003, 09:29 PM

Default A-Q on a Sunday afternoon

Ah, my favorite hand--AQo.

Playing a 30-60 online game for the first time, I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the big blind.

UTG raises, an MP caller and a button reraise. SB folds, and I decide to call two cold. Would anyone consider a fold here? I think a fold is too tight. UTG calls only as does the MP (seems like one who calls too many raises, like me).

Four see the flop of:

J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I have a double gutshot with a backdoor flush draw. I checked (?). UTG bets, MP calls, button raises, and I call two cold. UTG threebets and all call. I must be a calling station also. Turn is:

[J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Nut straight and second nut flush draw. I bet, UTG folds, and MP raises! So much for what I thought. Button calls 120 cold and I three-bet. MP just calls as does the button. River is:

[J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

I bet, MP calls and button raises. Your move.

What do you think of my play on the earlier streets?
Old 10-05-2003, 09:44 PM

Default Re: A-Q on a Sunday afternoon

[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone consider a fold here? I think a fold is too tight

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding AQo in this spot should be routine. I would fold AQs without hesitation.

On the river, I call and expect to lose. The river is where you make your loose call- when the pot has 25 big bets in it. You don't make the lose call pre-flop when the pot just a few bets in it.

Old 10-05-2003, 10:02 PM

dynasty used to better competition than is typical of online players. I would call AQ preflop here about 60% of the time depending on how bad or good the players are (I do all I can to avoid hard opponents and they avoid me.) AQs is about a 95% call.
I think u played this well. Olbiously the Button has AA (one of diamonds) ot one of the high pocket pairs which fell.
U still gotta call at the end.

Old 10-05-2003, 10:13 PM

the only play here that i see as a mistake is the river bet. With two people in the pot, I would just check and call...I don't think this is a value bet situation. I imagine you lost to kings full of 8s or pocket Ace with a diamond. UTG had AK possibly??
-James
Old 10-05-2003, 10:25 PM

I play too loose, and I'd fold this pre-flop. What flops do you really like all that much?

I might bet and see what happens on the flop. But the flop seems fine. I'd play the same way on the turn.

I'm not sure whether the better river play is bet or check-call. But I'll definitely make the crying call on the end.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:32 PM

I don't consider a fold preflop, I definately would do it. AQo is a terrible hand here. You got the action that you wanted the whole hand, and you have a crying call on the river.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:41 PM

Absolutely - I'd fold AQo (reluctantly) in your spot. It's likely to be dominated. I used to call with it all the time in spots like this until I realized I was losing money playing it. If the table is just excessively loose, I'd probably call two cold with it, or just cap it myself.

On the river, it seems unlikely that the button has anything but the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Cold calling two on the turn telegraphs a hand that's probably drawing. Given that two people on the river have decided to play their hands, it's even more unlikely that he is bluffing with a raise, not to mention your rebet on the river should have struck fear into his heart if he didn't have the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I think you're getting 22-1 or 23-1 if the MP also calls, so I'd probably think for a long time, and then make a very tearful crying call.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:54 AM

I think you should fold preflop for sure.

As for the river, it's not a tough decision. You're definitely not folding and you can't 3-bet. So you have to call. Process of elimination.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:16 AM

Hi Everyone:

Dynasty has this exactly right. You don't make the call before the flop with the AQ. In fact, against many players you should probably fold AK as well. If you don't see this, think about what hands the early position raiser and the reraiser are likely to hold.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 10-06-2003, 01:19 AM

Hi Eugeneel:

First of all $30-$60 is a higher limit where the players tend to be better. Second, with an UTG raiser, there is a legitimate chance this will go to four bets. Now how do you like your AQ.

Best wishes,
Mason