Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Moneymaker-Farha rematch hand (6-5-2 flop)

PokerStars Game #118805894

Half an hour into the tournament, the blinds are 150/300 and Chris has built up a small lead, 16,200 to 13,800.

Sammy calls on the small-blind-button, and Chris raises to 1,500. Sammy calls. 3,000 in the pot.

FLOP: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Chris bets 1,500; Sammy calls. 6,000 in pot.

TURN: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Chris checks and Sammy bets 2,700. Chris calls. 11,400 in the pot.

RIVER: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Chris checks and Sammy bets 2,400. Chris folds. Neither player shows. Now Sammy has 19,500 in chips, almost a 2:1 lead.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Moneymaker-Farha rematch hand (6-5-2 flop)

This hand was the turning point of the match IMO. It was pretty much a formality afterwards. I'm really curious what MM had as I can't think of any hand I like playing this way.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand was the turning point of the match IMO. It was pretty much a formality afterwards. I'm really curious what MM had as I can't think of any hand I like playing this way.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd assume it's a medium pocket pair, 88/99/TT. But you'd expect him to have bet the turn. Guess we'll find out in two weeks.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd assume it's a medium pocket pair, 88/99/TT. But you'd expect him to have bet the turn. Guess we'll find out in two weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris must have been on either a flush or straight draw, most likely the straight.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:31 PM

He wasn't getting the correct odds to call the turn with a garden-variety draw. If he had something like 8h7h (drawing to flush and straight) he ought to have raised all in.

Maybe he had 7h6h - one pair with a flush draw. That might make sense. But I think a medium pocket pair is more likely.

We'll find out in two weeks.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Chris posted on rgp that he was on a blind steal and flopped one pair. He says he played the hand (and indeed the match) poorly:

Chris Moneymaker post on rgp
Old 09-28-2003, 04:55 PM

Default RESULTS

Just watched the replay. MM had 58o. Sammy had 47s.