Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2003, 12:21 AM

Default AA preflop decision

15-30 online game, been here for 1 orbit. Player to my right is sitting on a short stack of 35$, he raises first in. I've got AA. Reraise or just call? And why?

Old 09-21-2003, 01:24 AM

Default Re: AA preflop decision

Hi,
I really don't know that my reasoning is correct (though my recommendation is good), but I'll take a shot. Re-raise. The question, I think, is asking whether you'd be satisfied to win just 60 bucks with this hand. I think so. This is based on the idea that I've read that the only hands you should be unhappy to win just the blinds with are AA and KK. That said, one more big bet is probably enough to make you "happy," meaning you didn't waste the value of your Aces. You're likely to have this player in a VERY bad spot (Ax, for example), so your EV will be most of the money he puts in (85%-90%)of it. So the part I'm not sure about is the value in EV of those Aces under normal circumstances. But even if 58 bucks or so wasn't enough, you should still re-raise. Other players may still want to call, and if they do, they're making that much larger of a mistake.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:53 AM

There are so many things to consider. Are there poor players, habitually call too many bets? Are there other players who will see your reraise as an attempt to isolate an all-in player with a less than premium hand? Will the good players view your cold call with suspicion? What position are you in? How often do the blinds defend? As always, you have to figure how to win the most money with these cards. With a lot of bad players to act, I would raise. With a lot of good players yet to act I would raise. With a few good and a few bad, I would raise. With only a few mediocre players left, I would just call.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:18 PM

I just call. If you 3-bet and fold everybody out behind you, you have sacrificed your ability to make any money post-flop. I would 3-bet with stuff like ATo and 55.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:07 PM

This game was on partypoker.com, and I have just started playing on there. So far, I don't think these games are as loose as everyone has claimed, although I would consider most of the players relatively "unthinking"

At the time I hesitated and considered two factors, firstly that just taking his stack and the blinds wouldn't be that bad, and secondly that I've been told I'll pick up 4 callers to a 3-bet on this game anyway.

So, I decided to raise, folding everyone except the EP, who called all in and somehow my AA held up against JQo.

If I could do it again I would've just called. Thought it was an interesting situation having never faced it before.

A question for Dynasty. Why would you 3-bet with 55 here? You certainly don't mind picking up the callers and flopping a set. If no one else calls you're most likely in a coin-flip situation.

Or is your thinking that you can get it heads up with this hand, having presumably 55% equity, committing $35 to win $60. Okay, I think I answered my own question.