Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2003, 07:39 AM

Default flopped a boat, what do I do now?

a hand from tonight i was wondering about-

i sit down at the table and while i'm waiting for the blind to come around i notice the player to my left is not a solid player. this is my first hand at the table ($2-4).

I'm on the BB with red Kings. everyone calls. I raise. everyone calls.

flop comes [A,K,A] suits irrelevent.

I flopped the boat, I check going for the slowplay. aforementioned player to my immediate left bets. everyone folds around to me. I decide to go for the check- raise on the turn and just call.

turn comes [A,K,A] A

how do you play the hand from here?

also, how does the number of callers on the flop affect whether or not I check-raise or slowplay in this situation, if at all?

I'll post results a bit later.

thanks in advance,

anunkind
Old 09-01-2003, 09:37 AM

Default shameless self promotion (begging)- oh yeah, and results

results:

I lost to AQ.
how much do you pay them off and when do you fold it?

thanks,

-anunkind
Old 09-01-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Re: flopped a boat, what do I do now?

[ QUOTE ]
how do you play the hand from here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to go in check/call mode.

[ QUOTE ]
how does the number of callers on the flop affect whether or not I check-raise or slowplay in this situation, if at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably slowplay this hand against any number of opponents if they are bad players. You don't want to knock opponents out of the hand. Any players without an Ace are drawing almost dead against you, so I probably wouldn't check-raise.

Old 09-01-2003, 12:00 PM

Default some thoughts in retrospect

after the 3rd ace I am either drawing dead to quad aces, losing to AK, splitting with Kx, or he is drawing dead.

in either of the first three situations, I don't want to raise anything, I'm losing or paying the rake. and the amount it would take me to (possibly) figure out to fold would get me to a showdown. if he's drawing dead, I'd want to induce a bluff over giving him a reason to fold. so check-call.

a question on if the ace hadn't come- in this situation, when everyone has folded except myself and the bettor, I have the third nuts and there is no reson to put him on pocket Aces, maybe a passive UTG AK (doubtfull). in this situation, go for the check raise? unless he is on a bluff, he would probably call with any pair, a draw, a king; and reraise with an ace, at which point I would be happy to three bet. is this the correct play heads up? do I give hime a chance to miss a draw and check on the river? induce a bluff? my head is spinning- give me some love.

thanks again for comments.

-anunkind
Old 09-01-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Re: some thoughts in retrospect

[ QUOTE ]
a question on if the ace hadn't come-

[/ QUOTE ]

I would probably check/raise the turn and 4-bet if he 3-bets. Your only going to get action if he has an Ace and if he does he will bet the turn.

Not sure what you mean about the river question. If he checks turn, I would probably bet river. There really aren't many draws on the flop.