Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2003, 02:31 PM

Default AKs - critized or staying in with this.

This is at Party NL $25 .25/.50. I have AK [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], stack about $72. I am in MP and call $1 from EP, it gets raised to $5 (LP), goes around, I called, someone else raises it to $10, original LP who raised to $5 raises to $17 (all-in). Four see the flop, pot is $73. Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EP bets $5, I go all-in with $45, one caller ($25) , EP folds ($50)

Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

River Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

pre-flop all-in had AA, I end up losing $6 to AA, other player had JJ. Was this a bad pre-flop call. I was in for the $5, then got trapped between the others, one who I knew was an idiot, as he would bet large amounts to bluff people out. Was this the right play. I am questioned how I could call the pre-flop with AKs, and then go all-in on the flop. My thinking was even if the all-in guy had AA, he was all-in, he could get no more than the pot. It was just down to the three of us and since the first guy only bet $5 on a $73 pot, I knew I had him beat, and I figured I had a good chance with the other caller.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:46 PM

Default Re: AKs - critized or staying in with this.

Folding preflop to the reraises would probably be the correct play in most games (due to position) but since it's party $25NL, calling up to $17 can't be that wrong as you could be up against worse high card hands more here than on any other site.

Your flop play and logic seems fine to me.

As regards JJ, his play is terrible. He should reraise more BTF. What exactly is he trying to achieve? There are already 2 people willing to play for a fiver, JJ is strong but it's not a monster you want to be getting pot commited with 3 way!!! Terrible.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:51 PM

hmm.

in a "real" game, i think this is a clear fold. because it's party, the decision becomes a lot closer. my inclination would still be to fold, mainly because even if no one has AA, KK or AK is likely to be out, and a lot of my aces and kings rate to be dead either way. since someone has to have a pocket pair among the group, you need to hit to win.

if you know these opponents to be maniac-type players (even by party standards), that might also make it a call.

it's a fairly close decision, but my vote is cast with the folders.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:30 PM

Haha, i always laugh when we totally change our play because we involve the words 'party poker' [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What a lovely place.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:34 PM

Party i'd call the first $5 and fold to the all in. Even at party i wouldn't expect to see the all in without AA KK AK in that situation.

The all in on the flop is ok since the pot size, but you aren't fearing anything on that flop, no realistic draws and the all in player is out of the pot now, i like the idea of a overcall and smooth call.