Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2003, 10:53 AM

Default Hand to Ponder #233

The usual game and the usual players at our private game at Uncle Thuong's noodle restaurant here in beautiful Zzyzx, California.

Limit Holdem 40-80, nine handed. Bong, the Filipino pizza delivery boy, called from UTG. Uncle Thuong called from early position. Antonio, the dishwasher (happy after getting a 50 cents per hour raise for one year of loyal service to Uncle Thuong), called from middle position. Cousin Scotty called from late position. Aunt Xing Zing, playing in our private game for the very first time, called from the cutoff.

I looked down and saw AK offsuit. My first instinct was to raise out of habit but then a deep voice inside my head said, "Hold it, Men! Now is the time to vary your play. Just call. Besides, you can't really drive anyone out at this point in order to protect your hand. The two binds (Cousin Meng and his girlfriend Spring) are loose-passive callers and the players that are already in are committed to see the flop."

So I followed my inner voice and just called, hoping to flop a flop that would help my diguised hand. I was going to play the deception game.

As expected, Spring called from the small blind and Cousin Meng just checked. A bunch of us were gearing up to see the flop of an unraised near family pot.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:01 AM

Default Result

The flop came Q-7-4 rainbow. Spring, Meng, and Bong all checked. Uncle Thuong bet. Antonio and Scotty folded. Then Aunt Xing Zing raised. I folded as I disappointingly muttered to my self, "Oh well".

I didn't see what happened next because my cell phone rang and I had to answer it. But there's one thing I know. I played the flop creatively.

Till next time. Same Zzyzx time. Same Zzyzx channel.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Result

M-t-M,

I thought you lived in Zyzzx [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Tim
Old 08-28-2003, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Hand to Ponder #233

hi men
i like raising in this spot.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:08 PM

Men,

I like your play. This (even if it were hypothetical) is a very good post. I believe many if not most people tend to make a mistake here by raising, or lead out on flop or both, or check raise flop.

Plus, this hand really represent a whole range of hands that should be played this way when the situation calls for it.

It also reminds me of my own mistakes.

quote of the day:

"Play tighter than the too loose opponents and looser than the too-tight opponents. Against the opponents who play just right, leave the table!"
Old 08-28-2003, 12:44 PM

6 callers and you opt for deception? Not I, said the Fox. I have position and the best hand.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:40 PM

I was just driving by Zzyzyx a few months ago driving from LA to Vegas with my parents. I'll look for a noodle restaurant next time I'm driving through.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:18 AM

I've just forwarded your post to Uncle Thuong. He says that the next time you come to Zzyzx please do drop by. You're more than welcome to our private games.

Simply give Jennifer, our cute as a button Taiwanese cashier, your name so that she can go back to the kitchen and notify Uncle Thuong of your presence. This invitation is open to everyone here at 2+2.