Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2003, 02:03 PM

Default Tourney Hand critique

PP $30+$3 Hold-em Tourney. Down to final 3. Blinds 100/200
Stacks:

Player A - 4980
Player B - 2075
Me - 945

Player B in SB, me in BB

Dealt 23o

SB completes, I check, player A folds

Flop: K 3 10 rainbow

B bets 200, I call all in, B calls

Turn: 6

River 3

Results after you all get done bawling me out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanx
Jim
Old 07-31-2003, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Tourney Hand critique

No bawling out from me. Player B could have almost any hand for his betting. Assuming he started with an overpair 5% of the time, and has a K, 3 , or T 17% of the time (95% of 18%), you are ahead 78% of the time. Even if you double the 17% to 34% for some hand selection, you are ahead 60% of the time. If you are going to get out of third place it looks the time to start.

Since you are expecting a bawling out, you must have lost, so my guess is he had the case 3 and a (obviously) better kicker. A K or a T might have elicited a bigger bet than $200.
Old 07-31-2003, 05:30 PM

I think you played is fine. Your shorthanded and shortstacked and you flopped a pair.

I'm a little confused how you "called all-in" when the bet was only 200 and you presumably had 745 or 945 left in front of you (depending on whether your chip count was before or after you posted the blind). I assume you mean that you raised all-in (calling implies to me that you are not increasing the bet size at all).
Old 07-31-2003, 05:36 PM

Chip counts were before the blind. I agree the language could be better, but by "call all in" I read that he raised all in, and "calling" was as in "verbalizing" as opposed to calling/checking/raising.

I was once chastised for posting that a card dealt on 5th street was "turned", where I of course was speaking in the sense of "flipped over"!
Old 07-31-2003, 05:50 PM

Of course, if you read Super-System, he often refers to the flop as "the turn". Someone needs to standardize our language! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2003, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Tourney Hand critique - results

Thanx for info folks. I was thinking even calling the 200 was wrong but with my short stack I didn't know if I would get a better hand.

Player B turns over K 3 for the Full Boat and I was out in 3rd. OH well, still $60

Thanx
Jim