Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-16-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Converting percentages to ratios????? Be Gentle!!!!!

OK,, I know Im probably gonna get killed for this question but Ive read several ways of going about it and want to know how the pros or even above average players do the math. I know no one that plays at this level as far as the mathematical aspect of holdem so my only guidance is reading and this site. Ive been looking deeper into pot odds in association with the odds of hitting your hand with one or two cards to come ( flush draw etc. ). I usually just count my outs and then times by four if two cards are to come and times by 2 if one card is to come. Obviously that total gives me a percentage. Now,,,, when calculating pot odds i know that you want your pot odds to be better than the odds of hitting your hand, however, everwhere I read the books and forums use ratios for pot odds ( "you're getting 7 to 1 odds on your money" ), and then a few sentences later they use percentages for the odds of hitting your hand ( "you're 36% percent of hitting your flush" ).
1. My question is,, what is the best way (in your head or the way that is universally used ) to convert my percentage I've come up with in hitting my hand (36%) into the ratio that the pot holds.
2. Also,,, when im looking at a pot that has say 360 in it, it costs me say 95 to stay in it,, in my head,,, whats the best way to calculate those odds and then convert to ratio. I always just roughly estimate the percentage of the call to the pot. PLEASE HELP,, also if im going about it all wrong please steer me in the right direction,,,THANKS