Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Hand to Ponder #5

I played the following hand in a private game at the back of my Uncle Thuong's Chinatown noodle restaurant right after the Chinese New Year celebrations ended early this year.

The game was 10-20 holdem, nine handed. I was in the big blind when I was dealt Qs-9h. Antonio, the illegal alien dishwasher, limped in from early position. Uncle Thuong, a rock, limped from middle position. And my childhood friend "Scotty" just called from the small blind. Relieved that no one raised my rather weak hand, I gladly checked for a free look at the flop.

The flop came Qd-9d-2c. Scotty checked. I bet. Both Antonio and Uncle Thuong called. Scotty folded. Should I have checked here?

There was like $70 in the pot at this point. Then the Qc showed up on the turn giving me the nut fullhouse. Wow! What a scintillatingly awesome dilemma!

My brain wanted to go for a checkraise but my heart wanted to bet out. Being a romantic, I followed the will of my heart and bet, feeling that the flush draws would surely call. There was also a chance that someone with a Queen might raise.

I know you're not me. But if you were me, would you have gone for the checkraise or bet out as I did? Why?

Old 07-22-2003, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Hand to Ponder #5

hi meng
you must bet out into your opponents. they have given you no reason to believe that they don't need a free-card and JTd may even raise. your boat is hidden well enough to get called but no so well that you can expect a bet after you check. and who knows, JTd may fold. you gotta love it.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:47 AM

The most common mistake by semigood players is not betting their strong hands!
Old 07-22-2003, 11:46 AM

You should definitely consider checking the flop since the pot is small and you have a big hand. A lot depends on how loose your opponents will call if you bet.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:40 PM

I would have bet $10 on the turn and a half dozen wontons.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:15 PM

I do not want to give a free card to the flush draws so I would bet the flop. Bet the turn also. No indication that anyone will bet if you check.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:17 AM

Are you implying that by having considered the possibility of just checking that I'm merely "semi-good", rather than the master that I truly am!? [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2003, 01:30 AM

I almost checked (with the intention of raising) the flop because Antonio the dishwasher is a very loose-aggressive player whose bets Uncle Thuong does not particularly respect. But I was too scared to give a freecard so I bet.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:37 AM

I just went to the dim sum next door and ordered some wontons. They cost $2 a piece, or five for $10. Therefore if you do want to bet the turn, you should bet $10 and 5 wontons, not 6. Eat the extra one with ginger soy sauce. Yum.
Old 07-23-2003, 01:47 AM

Antonio the dishwasher is a loose-aggressive habitual bluffer so a case can be made for a value checkraise attempt on the turn. But having flush draws on the board could at least get me some calls. Additionaly, betting could get a raise from a case Q too.