Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 01:38 AM

Default 2 hands against short(er) stacks...how else can I go about this?

Sorry about the format, but I am having all types of trouble getting these hands to work in the converter (side note...please PM me if you can help me with this).

2 hands from tonight...are these standard, or am I getting to attached here with one pair. With deeper stacks, I thinks these hands play easier. I'll post results later. Please flame away...

Hand 1: Villian is UTG

Seat 8: Villian($46.90 in chips)
Seat 9: Hero ($120.80 in chips)

*** Blind Bet Round *** :
Dealt to hero: Ah, Kc
SB: Post Blind ($0.50)
BB : Post Blind ($1)

*** Pre-Flop *** :
Villian : Call ($1)
Hero : Bet ($5)
8 folds
Villian : Call ($4)

*** Flop *** : 9s Ac 8c
Villian: Check
Hero: Bet ($10)
Villian: Raise ($20)
Hero: ???

Hand 2: Villian is in MP

Table 'Cottbus': $2-$2 No Limit HE (Real Money)

Seat 5: Villian ($104 in chips)
Seat 6: Hero ($176.40 in chips)

*** Blind Bet Round *** :

Dealt to Hero: Ad, Kh
SB: Post Blind ($1)
BB : Post Blind ($2)

*** Pre-Flop *** :
3 folds
Villian: Bet ($4)
dougfood27 : Raise ($14)
4 Folds
Villian: Call ($10)

*** Flop *** : 9d Jd 5s
Villian : Check
Hero : Bet ($20)
Villian : Call ($20)

*** Turn *** : [ 9d Jd 5s ] Ks
Villian : Check
Hero : ???
Old 12-13-2005, 04:14 AM

Default Re: 2 hands against short(er) stacks...how else can I go about this?

Hand 1: Call and see how the turn develops.

Hand 2: I check behind and c/c or bet a river about 1/2 the pot. I probably also fold on the flop too.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:15 AM

Hand 1: Call and see how the turn develops.

Hand 2: I check behind and c/c or bet a river about 1/2 the pot. I probably also fold on the flop too.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Results

Hand 1 : I rasied him all in for another $20 and he called with a flopped set of 9's. I figured it was either push or fold here, as I thought he would push his remianing $20 in on the river.

Hand 2: Not sure what you mean by folding the flop...it was checked to me and I bet about 2/3 pot. I bet $55 on the turn (pot was $68) and shoved all in for $70 total. I called and he also showed a flopped set of nines. I think your line is probably a better way to go...I guess actually hit my hand on the turn and felt compelled to bet it.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:15 AM

Hand 1: Without a read on Villian I'm probably folding. May seem W/T but I really don't see a bluff here. Maybe a big draw but why not just push then? I'm sure he puts you on a big Ace at this point and is just building the pot so he can get it all in on the turn without scaring you off.

Hand 2: Check/fold on the missed flop. You're way behind most of the time here.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:41 PM

I hear you on the first hand...at the time, it just seemed too weak tight to fold with him only having $20 behind.

Check/fold the flop is certainly viable in hand 2, but in this case I decided to make a CB on the flop...this line had been taking down pots somewhat frequently at this table.

Given my bet and his call, and then his check on turn...should this be sending off warning bells in my head that he is strong? If i check behind, and a draw hits on the river, don't I risk getting blow off my hand by a worse hand because I showed weakness on the turn?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if my line was bad, or if I took an ok line an ran into bad cards?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear you on the first hand...at the time, it just seemed too weak tight to fold with him only having $20 behind.

Check/fold the flop is certainly viable in hand 2, but in this case I decided to make a CB on the flop...this line had been taking down pots somewhat frequently at this table.

Given my bet and his call, and then his check on turn...should this be sending off warning bells in my head that he is strong? If i check behind, and a draw hits on the river, don't I risk getting blow off my hand by a worse hand because I showed weakness on the turn?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if my line was bad, or if I took an ok line an ran into bad cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely understand your reasoning for Hand 1. Against a reasonably aggro opponent who had seen me make c-bets before I may take the same approach that you did.

I misread Hand 2. I totally agree with your c-bet on the Flop. I'll take that line as much as 90% against a typical opponent. IMO, the only reasonable hands that you have beat on the turn based on the previous action is AJ, KJ, or QJ. While a flush draw is possible, I think it's worth giving a free card on the end to avoid playing a big pot when there's a good chance your dead. I'd check behind on the turn and fold to anything bigger than half the pot on the end.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:37 PM

Hand 1 comes up a lot. Often when someone limps then calls a large pre-flop bet, the limper has a mid-sized pair. Most good players won't call that raise w/ A9 or AT for fear of domination. In addition, Villian didn't have to worry about any additional calls behind him. So, if he puts you on overcards, he has a coin toss w/ a slight edge.

Villian got a lucky break and flopped the set.

If you assume all this, and you don't smell a bluff, the fold is easy. Of course, in practice it's hard to fold those Aces.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 PM

In hand 2, It seems like Villian is gonna hang around even if you bet. I don't think your hand is strong enough to not just take the free card.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:25 AM

hand 1: all in
hand 2: bet half the pot

hand 3: hit the atm lol