Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Aces against the BPAT (More Detail This Time)

Commerce, 9-handed, 400 NL, 5/10 Blinds

Why am I always against the BPAT in these hands....

Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Relevant stacks:

Hero: $1,600
Villain: $750, Villain has a VPIP of about 30% and raises about as often as he calls. His preflop raises range from 3x the BB to 8x the BB. While he won't raise less than...say...6x the BB with AA/KK/QQ/AKs (unless he's first in), it's impossible to tell what a larger raise (6-8x the BB) represents. Small raise equals NOT monster. But maybe that's just because I didn't seem him get any monsters last night. He plays aggressively postflop, and I have yet to figure out any pattern. His bluffing frequency seems to be right on target. He also may be slightly on tilt as he simply has not been running well. At this point in the night, he was stuck 3 buy-ins (not including the chips in front of him).

And the hand:

One limper, Villain raises to 40, Hero makes it 120 to go, folds around to Villain, Villain calls.

Flop (2 players, $265): K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero bets $150, Villain calls.

Turn (2 players, $565): Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Villain checks, Hero bets $250 (half of opponent's stack -- the size of this bet probably deserves the most attention in this thread), Villain check-raises all-in for ~$250 more, Hero calls.

Any better lines for me to take?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Aces against the BPAT (More Detail This Time)

Ya, check the turn!
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 AM

What does betting the turn do but get AK to fold? KQ KK QQ will all CR you and that sucks. AK will probably fold and you miss river value. Betting turn is bad, checking and calling reasonable river (or maaaaybe fold but probably call) bet is much better. If he checks river after you check turn, then make a value bet that AK can pay off.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:15 AM

Okay, sounds good (checking the turn). What do I do if he pots the river, which in this case, is the same as an all-in? Assume the river is a total brick.

Now assume it's the Jack of Diamonds. Because that's what it was.