Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2003, 02:47 AM

Default just finished reading Cloutier\'s book...

this is my first post to this forum. so hi! and please be gentle [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed when I was finished reading this book. it didn't hit me nearly as hard as any of slanksky/malmuth's books did. I especially didn't understand his "drawing hands are the devil" take. I understand the concept of not taking the risk with highly volatile plays in a freeze-out...but if the pot is laying you proper odds....

granted, I am playing in a home NLHE game and not in the WSOP. but do all tournament pros really play *that* tight? T.J. says "no" to small pairs, drawing hands, low connectors, "dangerous" hands, etc. unless he is in last position. he even trashes on odds and says that they are a "bunch of bull". I thought that implied odds made the world go round when it game to no-limit. am I a retard or am I missing something or both?

thanks in advance...
Old 07-18-2003, 03:29 AM

Default Re: just finished reading Cloutier\'s book...

I suggest that all of my opponents read Coutier's book.

You might read some of the review's in the book forum to get a better feel for the _almost_ total lack of big bet literature.

Ciaffone and Reuben is the only big bet literature I've read that made much sense. The NLHE section is super/system is next (although be careful that you are aware of which plays make sense relative to your stack size). Other then that do a lot of thinking on your own. TOP is your friend.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:09 PM

I recently started selling off all my poker books. Theory of Poker is the only one I'm keeping.

Old 07-19-2003, 12:39 PM

"I recently started selling off all my poker books. Theory of Poker is the only one I'm keeping."

LOL: I keep my copy of Theory of Poker, but it's gotten moldy over the years when I was camping in the woods.....

As far as Cloutier's book: book was written for tourniment players, and it's not consistent with live games. Unless there are a lot of pre flop raises in the game, I limp in any position with small pair, middle position with suited connectors, and hands like AQ or AJ. Early position I just limpt with AKo, AJs and JJ, and will fold AQo. While this seems tight to a lot of players, I've come to understand the concept of my stack is on the line any hand that I'm in.

And I really don't think that any 2+2 quality book has been written on the subject of NL. Ray Zee says there's not a big enough market, but thanks to ESPN, the WPT, and internet poker, that is soon to change. Personaly I think a lot of people in the industry need to wake up to the fact that big bet poker is on a fast and furious rise in popularity.

AeonBlues