Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Learning SH play a prereq for advancing to 2/4 and beyond?

I started out with .25/.5 FR and I've been 4 tabling .5/1 and doing well.

I've now started .5/1 6max because I've heard and read that it is necessary to learn the aggression in order to succeed at 2/4 and beyond.

However, I'm doing terrible at .5/1 6max, after 10k hands my VP$IP is around 19 and my PFR is 12. I know I need to be more aggressive and raise more, but I have real trouble finding correct spots.

I have a couple of starting hand charts and I follow them for the most part, I have trouble with Ax and I will pitch some of those hands but for the most part I stick to the chart.

So, I'm trying to learn SH play because from what I've read, I feel like I need to in order to advance. I am correct here or can I learn what I need to by taking shots at 1/2 FR and then 2/4 FR?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Re: Learning SH play a prereq for advancing to 2/4 and beyond?

[ QUOTE ]
I started out with .25/.5 FR and I've been 4 tabling .5/1 and doing well.

I've now started .5/1 6max because I've heard and read that it is necessary to learn the aggression in order to succeed at 2/4 and beyond.

However, I'm doing terrible at .5/1 6max, after 10k hands my VP$IP is around 19 and my PFR is 12. I know I need to be more aggressive and raise more, but I have real trouble finding correct spots.

I have a couple of starting hand charts and I follow them for the most part, I have trouble with Ax and I will pitch some of those hands but for the most part I stick to the chart.

So, I'm trying to learn SH play because from what I've read, I feel like I need to in order to advance. I am correct here or can I learn what I need to by taking shots at 1/2 FR and then 2/4 FR?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you have two statements about preflop play and not a word about postflop, I'm guessing that you need to work on your postflop game.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:47 PM

I think it's not really wort it playing anything lower than 2/4 SH.
The rake is a huge factor and your marginal hands can become marginally -EV due to the rake.
The players are really so donkish that you can't learn that much.
I would advocate to play 2/4 at Stars or at Prima, they are both good games and have very friendly rake system.
You can up your VPIP to 22-24% or so in that structure.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rake is a huge factor and your marginal hands can become marginally -EV due to the rake.
The players are really so donkish that you can't learn that much.
I would advocate to play 2/4 at Stars or at Prima, they are both good games and have very friendly rake system.
You can up your VPIP to 22-24% or so in that structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party 1/2 6max is insanely easy and beatable
Old 12-11-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think playing under 2/4 is fine for players who are not good. Sure the rake is huge for them, but it is better than losing a ton to the players at higher levels. For people who don't feel comfortable yet, I think .5/1 and 1/2 is fine at Party. Once they get a feel for what they are supposed to be doing, I agree they need to move up to 2/4 or 3/6 as soon as they have the bankroll.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:54 PM

I have to agree with you.
However it must be stated that staying at 1/2 too long isn't good either. And if you do very well at 1/2 it doesn't mean you're good at SH.
After 20k hands at 1/2, I had to re-learn the game at 5/10 and I decided to go down to 3/6.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:56 PM

before crypto changed their monthly bonus system, 1/2 there was goot. now you have to play 2/4 to make the $50 back worthwhile. I say stick with party 1/2 and .5/1 6max, plus paradise 1/2 5max.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Well after I submitted my post and thought about it, it seems like I'm trying to take the "easy" way out almost.

I know I can learn 6max, might take me a while but I can do it. I might continue on in .5/1 FR and 1/2 FR for a while, build more bankroll and then take a stab at 1/2 6 max in a couple of months.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you have two statements about preflop play and not a word about postflop, I'm guessing that you need to work on your postflop game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I know I need to work on my postflop game, it's just not going to happen overnight either, I know that as well and every situation is so different in 6max.

FR seems so much more "procedural" to me.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:09 PM

Dont bother with 1/2 full ring, get 500BB for .5/1 and jump straight into that 6max.

Roy: When i read your response it sounds like you want to avoid the donks and fish at the lower levels?

You say you dont learn much? Value bets,Hand reading, Note taking.

ALL VALUBLE skills for the higher limits.

Dont rush moving up because "The rake eats your bankroll". Work harder to make your profits bigger due to the rake hindering them.

Don't take shortcuts and run to 2/4 and 3/6, You'll miss valuble lessons which will result in COSTLY lessons/misplays in the future.

Just my 2cents...
i tried 500 hands at .10/.20, 1k at .25/.50 and 5k at .5/1 and now moved up to 1/2. I noticed BIG CHANGES in the aggression levels of the opponents aswell as skill... But maybe its because i play at a tighter site.