Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 12:24 AM

Default All in rule question

A situation develop that was never addressed before hand. Can you please clarify the rule for me?

What is the minimum reraise amount for Person 3?
Person 1 bets 80 [pot=80 after bet]
Person 2 raises to 200 [pot=280 after raise]
Person 3 reraises ??? (320 or 400)

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: All in rule question

[ QUOTE ]
A situation develop that was never addressed before hand. Can you please clarify the rule for me?

What is the minimum reraise amount for Person 3?
Person 1 bets 80 [pot=80 after bet]
Person 2 raises to 200 [pot=280 after raise]
Person 3 reraises ??? (320 or 400)

Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Player 2 raised $120
The minimum raise for player 3 is therefore $120, which would be from $200 to $320.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Player 2 raised $120
The minimum raise for player 3 is therefore $120, which would be from $200 to $320.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're correct - the minimum reraise for player 3 would be $120 - OR - if player 3 didn't have $120 - he could go all-in.

Assuming that player 3 does have a big stack - his $120 reraise would cost him a total of $240 ($120 - call, $120 - re-raise) in a previously $280 pot would bring the pot to $520.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:32 AM

Um, I'm having a little trouble understanding this one,

if player 1 bets 80, the pot would certainly be more than 80 because at least one of the blinds would still be in play, so if it was a 10/20 game and player 1 was under the gun, after his 80 bet the pot would be (110)

it is my understanding player 2 would be required to raise at least 2 times player 1's bet of 80, which is 160 total.

player 3's options is where I'm going to have to defer to you all, I wasn't aware of the rule regarding him. Usually in online play you'll on occasion a betting sequence where one player bets say 30, the second player raises to 60, and the third player reraises to 90, each time in increments of the amount first bet.

From that experience I would say player 3's minimum raise in this situation would be $240 ($80 more than player 2's raise)

Although you would have to consider the blinds when figuring the pot along the way, and also consider a player like myself who is more likely to re raise the pot than the player before me's bet.

Fun topic, let me know if you guys, know something contrary to what I've described
Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, I'm having a little trouble understanding this one,

if player 1 bets 80, the pot would certainly be more than 80 because at least one of the blinds would still be in play, so if it was a 10/20 game and player 1 was under the gun, after his 80 bet the pot would be (110)

it is my understanding player 2 would be required to raise at least 2 times player 1's bet of 80, which is 160 total.

player 3's options is where I'm going to have to defer to you all, I wasn't aware of the rule regarding him. Usually in online play you'll on occasion a betting sequence where one player bets say 30, the second player raises to 60, and the third player reraises to 90, each time in increments of the amount first bet.

From that experience I would say player 3's minimum raise in this situation would be $240 ($80 more than player 2's raise)

Although you would have to consider the blinds when figuring the pot along the way, and also consider a player like myself who is more likely to re raise the pot than the player before me's bet.

Fun topic, let me know if you guys, know something contrary to what I've described

[/ QUOTE ]

We're obviously talking NL here.

A raise must be at least the size of the raise in front of him. So the minimum raise is the size of the biggest raise to the player. You seem to think each player must make a larger size raise than the raise to them. That's not the case, he just has to make the same size raise as the biggest raise to him.

In the example from the OP we don't know the action in front of player 1. So where he bets 80, we don't know if he's opening the action post flop or raising. Say it's PF and the blinds are 10/20 and player one is the first player in and makes it 80 to go. [Note this doesn't square with what the OP has said about pot sizes but this is for example purposes only] He has only raised the blind 60. Therefore player 2 can raise another 60.

In the example from the OP player two actually raises 120 to 200 total. Now the biggest raise to player three is 120 and that is the minium he can raise, not the 60 of the first player. So his minimum raise makes it 320 to go.

In limit, of course, the raises are set and must be of the size of the structure. So in a 40/80 game (40 dollar BB), Pre-flop Player one raises the BB to 80, player 2 raises another 40 to 120, player three raises another 40 to 160 etc.

--Zetack
Old 12-12-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming that player 3 does have a big stack - his $120 reraise would cost him a total of $240 ($120 - call, $120 - re-raise)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're forgetting about the original $80 bet. Player 3 would need to put in a total of $320 in order to make the minimum raise possible here.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:42 PM

Correct. Missed that....