Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2003, 11:10 PM

Default Three Handed 8-8 Question

I am stumped whether or not I screwed this hand up. Party $30 Sit-n-go NL three handed. We are already into the money. I have been the tightest of the three players. Blinds are large since it is level six or seven (200-400 I believe) and we are virtually even in chips.

I get dealt 8-8 (was not playing a blind). I raised all in. Called by a loose aggresive player to my left and he turns over A-J diamonds. I was about a 53-47 favorite. He won with two pair but that is not really the point.

I know I should be raising and I am trying to figure out whether it was worth raising about 800 (or 1/3 of my stack) rather than going all in.

If I do that I am not sure it is going to scare someone in the bb of 400. Much more than 800 and I am getting close to the 40% or so mark where I am pretty much committing myself to go all in.

Also, if the wild player reraised me I was willing to go all in so why not just put it in there in the first place.

If I had 10-10 or higher I think it is a relatively easy all in for me. Problem is 8-8 is a dying duck against a higher pair.

Also, there is a decent chance the two others might fight it out at some point and leave me a shot at second or first place.

Playing these middle-high pairs shorthanded is probably a weakness in my game. I guess my final thought is that the large blind structure of the Party tourneys dictates luck will play a large role and maybe the big blinds dictated my play.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-24-2003, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Three Handed 8-8 Question

you didn't mention stack sizes, but all in all i think you played it OK; 88 is pretty, but also pretty fragile vs any paint card. it's not like you were going to fold preflop facing no raise, right? and i think it'd be weak to call, then call a raise, then be pot committed on the flop. you were in the money. be happy.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Three Handed 8-8 Question

You're not getting away from this hand in a typical SNG like this once it gets shorthanded. A smaller raise and he re-raises (likely) and you're calling anyway. So, yeah, get it all in now and hope he chickens out (not likely). He drew out on you. Your pair holds up and you're a big favorite to win.