Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 PM

Default quads on the river (serious hand)

Villain is passive, but I haven't played a big pot with him. Not sure if the river play is optimal. My thinking was that a small/medium flush may not raise the river if I bet, but this hand will bet and call a check/raise all-in. He also might check behind a pair, so I lose some value by checking. Does the sweetness of getting my stack in on a check/raise make up for the times he checks behind?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($64.45)
BB ($24.50)
UTG ($14.05)
UTG+1 ($31.20)
UTG+2 ($24.75)
MP1 ($19.65)
MP2 ($23.30)
MP3 ($21.60)
CO ($43.60)
Button ($10.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.10. UTG posts a blind of $0.25. CO posts a blind of $0.35.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls $0.25, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, UTG (poster) checks.

Flop: ($1.10) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, UTG calls $1, MP3 folds, CO folds.

Turn: ($3.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, UTG calls $3.

River: ($9.10) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks
Old 12-09-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: quads on the river (serious hand)

I think potting it is probaly your best bet. You've got him right where you want him with his hand, especially since TP or an OP are his most likely holdings.
It's unlikely he was on a draw, and if he was he'll raise you on the river. He'll feel the obligation to get his "implied odds" paid off.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:28 PM

Overbet push is beter than c/r here, id pot it though, as you want to get paid with quads, and show it down so all the fishies can ooo ahhh you and say nh.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:41 PM

passive player I'm either overbet pushing or potting depending no how likely I thought he was drawing to the flush.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 PM

I had a hand like this recently. Against a chasing fish, I just open pushed the river and got a call....I think that might be the better option...it certainly looks like he's got a flush to me, I say make him call. he's only got a little left anyway....any meaningful bet from him is going to be an all in anyway and he might not want to do that....just put him in now.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 PM

Bet the river and 3-bet all-in. You aren't getting another dime out of him unless he has a flush or a boat(and was waiting for you to chase down your flush).
Old 12-09-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the river and 3-bet all-in. You aren't getting another dime out of him unless he has a flush or a boat(and was waiting for you to chase down your flush).

[/ QUOTE ]

He only has 10 left on the river. Are you saying to bet 4-5 and hope for a raise? I didn't want to bet less than all-in since he may not raise with a flush.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:57 PM

Yikes, I was looking at UTG+1 stack. Just put him all-in. Though if you were ever to consider a making $4 bet into a pot this size hoping villain will throw his stack in, this wouldn't be a bad spot............
Old 12-09-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yikes, I was looking at UTG+1 stack. Just put him all-in. Though if you were ever to consider a making $4 bet into a pot this size hoping villain will throw his stack in, this wouldn't be a bad spot............

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is passive and has a non nut flush he will just call. Push.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:59 PM

Bet $10 or whatever amount he has left.

If he is a passive player he will call you with any number of moronic holdings, and if he has so little in the first place that he doesn't call your bet, he is not going to bet himself anyway.

If you bet $10 here you only have to get it called half as often as if you were betting $5, plus you get the added bonus of not having to show your hand if he folds.