Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 12:00 PM

Default 88 set - turn play

Villain is on the loose/passive side. Everyone seems to be more careful playing a pot with me lately. So I think he's got two pair or a flush/str8 draw on the flop. I need to bet this turn right?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($79.30)
MP2 ($5.24)
MP3 ($42.80)
CO ($30.35)
Button ($24.40)
SB ($18.51)
BB ($22.45)
UTG ($19.85)
UTG+1 ($46.80)
UTG+2 ($24.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, MP3 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $3.

Turn: ($9.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

River: ($9.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $24.65 (all-in)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $9.50
Old 12-09-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: 88 set - turn play

I check this turn. The flop play really looks like a draw, and almost every possible draw came on the turn. I think you're being set up for a c/r.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check this turn. The flop play really looks like a draw, and almost every possible draw came on the turn. I think you're being set up for a c/r.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only the flush draw hit the turn. That K didn't help the straight. For all we know the spade scares him more than us.

I bet the turn with plans to check down the river unimproved. We have to stop giving villains credit for the flush every time 3 of one suit hits the board. By checking the turn we gave a lone spade or a lone J or Q a chance to beat us. I would much rather bet the turn and fold to a raise knowing I'm beat that watch villain suck out with infinite odds on the river.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Only the flush draw hit the turn. That K didn't help the straight. For all we know the spade scares him more than us.

I bet the turn with plans to check down the river unimproved. We have to stop giving villains credit for the flush every time 3 of one suit hits the board. By checking the turn we gave a lone spade or a lone J or Q a chance to beat us. I would much rather bet the turn and fold to a raise knowing I'm beat that watch villain suck out with infinite odds on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with betting the turn is that the flush is a scare card to villain to, so we lose value from hands like A10, 10J, etc. However, I agree we need to stop with the overabundance of checking turns, and I think you shoulda bet 6 on the turn here.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, thinking it was a Q that hit the turn and not the K, making a possible straight as well - I would also bet.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:06 PM

I bet the 3/4pot on the turn and take a free showdown on the river, or fold if he still bets the river that came.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:26 PM

I usually check this turn as well, and I think it is a leak. I understand that we are giving villan infinite odds to beat us with any spade or SD- but how do we handle a PSR on the turn if we are betting? Are we calling always?

I think I am too weak, thinking "oh I can boat up on the river for free." If stacks were deeper, is there ever a case to check this turn? Say, 200+BBs?
Old 12-09-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Results

Good comments. Villain pushed the river with T9 (no spades) and showed. I hate poker.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Good comments. Villain pushed the river with T9 (no spades) and showed. I hate poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

The sad part is he played that hand 1000000000 times worse than you did.

Congrats on the mod thing. Feel free to change my title to something witty and profound.