Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 04:23 AM

Default An odd river decision

Villain pretty loose passive preflop. Postflop, he's been a mixed bag. I've seen him overplay a couple weak hands and underplay a strong hand. In other words, I haven't made sense of his postflop play at all.

Do you 3-bet the turn raise on something that resembles the classic slowplayed monster?

What about the river? I don't want him to check behind (if his seven just got counterfeited), but I don't think bet-calling is very intelligent (what is he raising on the river that I beat?).

Paradise Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ...
Old 12-09-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: An odd river decision

Check-calls in hopes of 88-JJ, or a frustrated under-pair, or Ace-high. I don't think you can fold this and getting raised here sucks so much.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:36 AM

Playing it how you did, I'd probably still c/r the river, calling a 3-bet. If you bet the river, I think you only get raised if he has a Q or better PP. But if you check, I think he bets even just a 7, or even worse (some ppl like to bet the board, thinking u'll fold).
Old 12-09-2005, 04:38 AM

You need to be ahead 55% of times or something to bet the river and I believe that you are here. He can raise the turn with a 7 or a lower PP or even an Ace or anyother crazy hand wouldn't be a surprise from this type of player. I also 3-bet the turn.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:45 AM

I'd bet/call
Old 12-09-2005, 12:14 PM

AA KK JJ re-raises your steal pre-flop, so he can only have a Q (or longshot 77) to beat you. Get at least 2 bets in on the river, and just call a 3rd
Old 12-09-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet/call

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah me too.

if we check/raise we might put in 0 bets on the river and we might put in 3, both of those outcomes are bad IMO. 1-2 bets is perfect.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:24 PM

I 3 bet the turn. If it is capped, I ck call the river, if not then I bet/call. As it was played, I bet/call the river. I think we have the best hand here the majority of the time (especially against a loose preflop villian) so i want to get more bets in the pot.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:44 PM

I don't see much reason to not 3-bet this turn. I think he can makes raises like this with Ace high on a board like this. He may have A7 as well, or a smaller pair that is looking good. Yes he COULD have a Q but that's really jumping to conclusions and low on the probability scale. There is a chance he slowplayed JJ-AA pre-flop but it doesn't seem that likely, even a passive player is not that likely to hesitate re-raising with QQ's against a blind steal no?

He may just be raising total garbage here as well thinking your on a steal and the chance of you having hit this board is pretty slim

Given your turn play I think b/c'ing this river is a must. I would have 3-bet the turn and b/c'd the river or called a cap on the turn and c/c'd the river.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:06 PM

I like a 3bet on this turn, he could easily just have a 7 or a smaller pp, or A hi. If he caps, call down.
The way you played it I would bet/call the river. It would be terrible is it got checked thru.