Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Is this a dumb flop bet?

Early in a partypoker $10+1 MTT at 8:30 EST. I've been playing tight through the first couple levels and pick up JJ in 2nd position with the blinds at 10/20. I raise it to 70 and its folded quickly around to the BB who calls the extra 50. At this point his range could be very large, as he has 1700 chips, with the chip average at 1200. He could be easily defending his blind.

Flop comes Jc 3c 2s

He checks. The pot is 150. I make a continuation bet of 75 and he quickly mucks. I know a draw is out there, but is that a stupid bet?

I am one to always throw out a continuation bet on the flop if I raised it and the caller checks to me.

But is this a case where I should check and maybe he hits a turn card or decides I'm weak by checking that flop?

I would like to get something out of a monster hand like this, with the blinds small and with a guy who is off to a relatively quick start.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Is this a dumb flop bet?

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a dumb flop bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I'd have bet more probably. There are draws out, he called from a blind, his range is huge. You are betting this not for protection but for several reasons.

First, to build a pot. If he has 44-TT hes calling if not raising. If he has a draw, same thing. He may even call with overcards or just ace high, people do that. He is drawing dead.

Metagame. Yeah, its only a 10 dollar tournament, but theres something to it still. If they see you bet out with a set, your CBs "should" get more credit. If they see you slowplay the crap out of a hand when you hit it, your CBs won't get credit.

I don't think it's "bad" to check behind here, I guess it's something of a style preference. There are times when I would consider giving an opponent a free card here, but not against an unknown.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:13 PM

I've been studying old WSOP and WPT tapes and I see the check behind uses as a weapon much more than we discuss here. It seems like every poster wants to always bet a flop after you raise.

I know the stacks are deeper in the tournaments we see on TV but certain pros, Marcel Luske is one I see do it a lot, have this trap play in their repertoire.

Maybe it's not a good idea but I've used it in the past on boards of A 9 2 when I have AK and it's worked. Other times it allows pocket sevens to turn a 7 when it's checked to you, but who knows.

Any thoughts on this play?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:19 PM

I would always bet here. I'm betting here with AK, AJ...etc...for Shania purposes. That way no one will be able to tell when you have top set or air.
It sucks when you get 0 action, but remaining consistant in your flop betting reveals little about your hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:44 PM

Marcel Luske also checks behind w/ crap. You can't just check your good hands. Since you say you bet every flop after you raise you definitely want to bet the nuts here. Even if it is your first hand and they don't still bet it to build a big pot with a big hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been studying old WSOP and WPT tapes and I see the check behind uses as a weapon much more than we discuss here. It seems like every poster wants to always bet a flop after you raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA at studying WSOP and WPT tapes.

In terms of level of content of TV poker, from least to greatest, it goes WSOP<WPT<Any live poker on FSN, in a distant distant distand first.

WSOP on ESPN is more like pro wrestling than it is like real poker. There is SO much information not given in TV poker. I think there is very little to be learned from watchig ESPN, let alone "studying it." What are you going to study, Norman Chad's ex-wives?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:06 PM

Unwise might be a better way to characterise this flop bet. I see no reason to bet here. You have a set vs. his range. Mathematically you are so far ahead with top set that it is far more productive to check and give the free card. If you are lucky, he may catch up enough for you to get full value from your hand.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:00 PM

I like your bet here. You have someone who may be playing loose with an early stack, and you have made it look very much like a continuation bet against a flop that's showing nothing above a J. Yes, he'll lay it down some. But, sometimes he will think for a second and re-raise hoping to push you off a continuation bet.

There is no magical right move in this situation. I do, however, like to also protect against the potential draw as well. Take your chips and move on to the next hand.