Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:20 PM

Default 65s deep stacks loose aggresive game, 5-5 NLHE 500 max buy

I have no idea what to do... (I'm pretty exhausted, so details are a little hazy, but this is roughly what happened.)

I chose to post this here due to the nature of the opposition.

---

This was at about the 8.5 hour mark in a session that I walked into after it had been going for a few hours. I'd just dragged down the biggest pot of my life, which was about $7k.

The table featured three very loose aggressive opponents and one of them had just lost the big pot to me.

LAGS are on button, SB, and UTG. UTG has a stack of about $2k (400bb), and the other two guys have stacks of about $500-$1000. I have them covered. I'm in MP1, there's between 8 and 9 players at this point.

There haven't actually been many reraises preflop in this game, I'd say maybe less than 5% of pots.

Blinds post, UTG (lag) raises to $50, a tight, passive player on my right calls, and I call with 65s (clubs). A tightish, tricky player on my left calls, and the button, who may be a little tilted at this point, calls. The SB, who just lost the big pot to me, and is feeling the effects of it still, raises to $150. BB, who is a little too loose against raises and is on a short stack (80bb), calls. UTG calls, buddy on my right folds, I call, guy on my left calls, button calls.

---

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], players: 6 pot: $950.

SB bets out $150 (out of $300), bb folds, utg calls, I call, the guy on my left folds, button pushes to $210, sb pushes to $300 (weird raise, but it's allowed here and everyone must play under these rules, not just hero), utg raises to $800 (he has $950 left), hero to act...

Main Pot is: 950+600+450 = 2000. Hero still has $150 to contribute to the main pot to play. Side pot has started, which hero is required to match to continue to play: $500... all told, a call by hero would make the main pot $2150 and the side pot $1000.

Hero has a bunch of cash remaining and villain (UTG) has $950.

What is hero's play?

Questions:

1) Preflop... what do you guys think?
2) General flop play...?
3) What should I do now?

FWIW, I went "all in" for villain's remaining $950, because I didn't want to have him push into me on the turn. I'm basically buying a river card with this push. I'm curious if that's a good thing or not. There's some chance, but it's not guaranteed, that any of the villains have a flush draw.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: 65s deep stacks loose aggresive game, 5-5 NLHE 500 max buy

1) Fold preflop, 65s is not a good hand in early position, especially to cold call a raise with.

3) Fold. You will make a flush about 1/3 times (don't really have many other draws). I suspect in this situation there will be another flush draw against you about 1/2 times based on the action. So you are going to win ~1/6 times (maybe more if you hit a runner runner straight, maybe less if you make a flush and lose to a full house), and have to put in 650 for 2000, which is ~4-1 and you need ~6-1 so fold.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:40 PM

David,

With a $50 preflop raise, this game is playing closer to 5/10 or 5/5/10 (5/10/10?). So the stacks are not really that deep. What was your exact stack size? I would fold 65s upfront with a 1-1.5k stack since we are only getting about 20-30:1 implied oods, and we are going to be in a tough spot postflop inbetween all these lags.

I think you also have to give up after the preflop reraise. It is easy to get sucked into the odds game, and make a loose call here. But I don't think you have enough implied odds to call. The initial flop call is okay imo, but I think you have to give it up after that.

Edit: FWIW, I would only coldcall a raise at this table in this spot with a small/mid pair, and I'm reraising JJ+ and AK. I think you need to muck everything else and wait for the goods to play a big pots against these lags that can't lay down a hand
Old 12-07-2005, 12:44 PM

I agree... let it go... to many better cards
Old 12-07-2005, 02:56 PM

my stack size was somewhere between 7k and 9k. I wasn't counting, because I was "chip leader" and I didn't want to think about the money aspect of the game. The next closest guy in chips had 2500. My opponent had 2k in front of him, so it was 40:1, but of course I'd have to somehow get his stack in there.

---

However, I thank you guys for your comments. I think that preflop was a mistake. Thanks for your comments, Isura.

Do you have any feelings on the flop play?

--Dave.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:02 AM

Last bump. Flop play is what I'm looking for now (It's pretty clear that PF play wasn't good).