Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 AM

Default HELP, my ring game has fallen apart

I used to play mostly 1/2NL and 5/10NL in the B&M's around Houston and was doing quite well. I wasn't satisfied with my tournament results (I was doing a little better than break even) so I spent quite a bit of time studying (HOH I&II, 2+2). As a result, my tournament results have made a dramatic improvement but I can't seem to beat the 1/2 game that used to be my bread and butter. I am refering to a rather large sample size as this story spans about 2-1/2 years of A LOT of poker in both B&M and on-line. Any suggestions? I'm starting to feel like a donk in the ring games that used to pay me sooooo well.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Re: HELP, my ring game has fallen apart

Hard to provide advice without knowing what's wrong
Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 AM

If you are playing ring games like a tourney then you have the wrong mind set. Pushing all your chips in the middle pre-flop with AK because it a coin flip isn't the way to make money in full ring. Post a few hands or specific scenarios that are giving you problems.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:40 AM

lol........I wish I knew. I'm sticking with +EV type bets. I know some of it has been due to just plain ole suck outs (gutters calling pot sized bets and hitting etc). But this has lasted too long to be mearly attributed to bad luck. I have really tightened up my play in the ring games, only playing speculative hands when pot odds demand it.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Are you a regular? Have other regulars figured out your style? Do you get action with your monsters or only when you are drawing?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 AM

I am definantly playing my ring game much more conservative than tourneys. I won't push all in pre flop for the small blinds anyway. Will only call someone else's push w/ AA, KK, maybe QQ if I know my opponent is a total donk. What seems to be happening the most is, I am taking away an opponents pot odds for the draw but then paying off when they hit (thus giving implied odds)
Old 12-07-2005, 09:49 AM

I switched rooms because of what you are talking about.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:50 AM

lol.........I'll be back here in a minute. On the bubble @ PS S&G
Old 12-07-2005, 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What seems to be happening the most is, I am taking away an opponents pot odds for the draw but then paying off when they hit (thus giving implied odds)

[/ QUOTE ]

So it sounds like one of your problems is that you are giving your opponents correct implied to chase their draws down. You have to put an end to that. Post a hand or two where you got drawn out and maybe someone here will have an idea or two. I suspect many of us have this leak at point or a another.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:03 PM

Default HERE IS A SAMPLE HAND

Example of giving the implied odds. 1/2NL hero is in the CO stack of about $215. Villian is in the BB with $185. Villian is known to see a lot of flops and is hyper-agressive after the flop. Likes to bluff and show his rags after his bluff. No flush draws ever hit the board, so I am not including suits in the description.

Hero is dealt QQ

6 limpers, hero raises to $17. BB calls, other limpers fold. (actually good result, sometimes $17 takes down blinds at this table, other times you get six callers) Pot size $49.

Flop: 467r

BB checks, hero bets $35. BB calls

Turn: 5

BB pushes all in for his last $133. Now, in my reasoning I decide that the BB "couldn't" have been helped by the 5. If he called with a str8 draw, then he would have needed to have the 5 in his hand. I felt like he had some sort of decent starting hand to call the pre flop raise, so unless he made a set, I have him killed. The scary board is also a good opportunity for him to make one of his steals. I call.

BB shows A8o and takes down the pot with his str8.

This is not meant to sound like a bad beat complaint, just would like to guage if I was wrong in paying this off. I am running into this situation A LOT at 1/2NL.